Loves to help with queries

Default Bakery in Iver, Buckinghamshire

Hi: I hope this odd request doesn't constitute cross-posting, but I am anxious to find the name of the family that owned the bakery in Iver High Street during the 1950s (and possibly earlier). If my memory serves me, the bakery was located on the right-hand side of the High Street (that is, on the opposite side to The Bull public house) and a few door away from Wade's chemist shop. In the 1920s, the bakery was owned by Mr. Axten, a fact I learned from a little book on Iver by Stella Rowlands. Whoever the baker was in the 50s, he and his son were close to me and my own family who lived at what was then no. 2 High Street (it's now no. 4). I am attempting to write an autobiography, and would like to include this information. -- patk

Davran

Have you tried putting an ad in the local paper? Or try the Buckinghamshire FHS. It's amazing what information is out there if you search online.

Coromandel

What you need is a directory for the area in the 1950s. The lists of names would no doubt jog more memories too. You could try e-mailing the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (I would try the Local Studies e-mail rather than the Archives one). For a very specific query like this you may get a free lookup.

I'm off to the library shortly, so will see if there's anything in British Phone Books on Ancestry.

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    What you need is a directory for the area in the 1950s. The lists of names would no doubt jog more memories too. You could try e-mailing the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (I would try the Local Studies e-mail rather than the Archives one). For a very specific query like this you may get a free lookup.

I'm off to the library shortly, so will see if there's anything in British Phone Books on Ancestry.
    Thanks for this suggestion -- viz. the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies -- and I have emailed them on the subject. No reply yet of course, but it's a good resource I was unaware of. -- patk

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    My approach to the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies was fruitful. The 1939 trade directory for Iver lists two bakers in the High Street, Aubrey Axten and Edward Chaney. The former was there in the early 20s too. Only Chaney was still baking by 1944 -- he appears in the telephone directory for that year -- and I'm pretty certain that must be him. Thank you so much for the pointer. -- patk
    Last edited by patk; 10-03-2011 at 6:00 PM. Reason: Missed out the end-quote tag