Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    janetbaker

Exclamation Atrato& Allen Circus

I would like to hear from anyone who knows anything about a circus act Atrato & Allen, or does the name Culleen ring any bells. The 1881 census lists Walter Allen aged 15 Equestrian performer, John Rowarth Allen, Eliza Allen, Thomas and Francis, Frederick Allen and John George Allen, also a Lidian Allen niece. Mr great grandfather was William Smith (stage name Atrato). Regards Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

Do you have access to the BL newspaper collections? There are various ads for Atrato & Allen's circus. In 1881 they advertised '...the most complete Equestrian Organisation ever brought together. Fifty British and foreign artistes. Noble stud of horses and ponies....' etc. If you can access the collection you could track their tours over the years, including earlier tours performing with other circus's.
    Last edited by carolchipp; 06-03-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by janetbaker View Post
    I would like to hear from anyone who knows anything about a circus act Atrato & Allen, or does the name Culleen ring any bells. The 1881 census lists Walter Allen aged 15 Equestrian performer, John Rowarth Allen, Eliza Allen, Thomas and Francis, Frederick Allen and John George Allen, also a Lidian Allen niece. Mr great grandfather was William Smith (stage name Atrato). Regards Janet
    Hi Janet, Walter Allen was my Great Grand Father, he was an Equestrian and a Clown called Nimble Nip.

His father was George Allen, but he was brought up by his half brother John Allen

We have found a Thomas (Tomos) Allen in Lambeth Cemetery is that the relative you are referring to?

It’s believed that the person that owned the Allen circus is buried in Lambeth cemetery

I will have a better look at the latest tree and find out about Thomas H Allen

Regards Paul

Richard1955

It is worth 'googling' Atrato and Allen.
    A few bits of info and three messages elsewhere that may be yours.

janetbaker

Thanks for that. What does BL stand for? regards Janet

Richard1955

It's British Library.
    I'm sure you will find loads of info there.

Janet

You can pay for a 24 hour pass to the British library which doesn’t cost all that much.

I found most of my information from magazines called Era and The Stage, plus local papers show up where Circus have set up.

You can also pay a small subscription to the current “The Stage” Magazine to search through there own archives.

I cannot get to the information about Altro and Allen for the moment, but as soon as I do I will post some information on here.

The names you posted on this thread earlier, most of them are related to me through George Allen B 1815 and Elizabeth Ann Ordish B 1818 and their Son Walter Allen B 1865

Thomas H Allen B 1867 is the Son of John Roworth Allen B 1839 to George Allen B 1815 and his second wife Elizabeth Hazeldine B 1835

Hope this helps in some way

janetbaker

Thanks for that information Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Janet
    The British Library newspaper collections are available free on-line via many libraries ( I checked Redcar - they have it). This means if you are a member of your local library you can access the collection from home using the number on your library card. The 19th century collection includes issues of The Stage and The Era. If you have family in 'entertainment' or trade they're well worth a look.
    Carol

janetbaker

Thanks. Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast