Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lauraathawes

Angry HELP!! Athawes in Kent

Hi all, was wondering if anyone would like a go at this brickwall for me!

I am having trouble confirming and getting back another generation on my Athawes family line, I think that i have worked out that my 4th Gt Grandfather Rev. John Athawes was the son of Samuel Athawes and Sarah Mitchell, if this is correct then John's brothers/Sisters would be as follows Edward 1788, Samuel 1790, Mary 1792, William 1794, John 1795, Sarah 1795, James 1798, Elizabeth 1800, Edward 1803 and Henry 1806, they were all christened at All Saints Church, Maidstone, Kent

Samuel Athawes and Sarah Mitchell married 19 Aug 1787 All Saints Church, Maidstone, Kent and I have found a possible birth for Samuel Athawes on IGI which is Abt. 1762 Maidstone, Kent. But I can not find a father for Samuel Athawes and I am really struggling to find any clues. Does anyone have any ideas how I find this or perhaps you are related to him

Many thanks in advance

Laura

P.S There was another Athawes family around at the time living in the Linton area. Father and Mother was Samuel Athawes and Sarah Mercer married 2 Nov 1783 Linton, Kent children were Samuel 1784, Ann 1788, William 1791, Sarah 1793, Sally 1795, Peter 1798, John 1800 and Elizabeth 1803, all christened Linton, Kent. Think they are related but not sure how!

Coromandel

The history of Waddesdon at https://www. british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62546#n263 has a reference to a Samuel Athawes who bought Binwell Lane Farm in 1788 and then bequeathed it to Rev. John Athawes. From the date that it came into Rev. Athawes' hands (1822) I presume that this was via the will of Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield (proved 1822 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury; you can download it from Documents Online
    https://www. nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/wills.asp for £3.50). There are some earlier Athawes wills there too, which may supply more pieces of the jigsaw.

I know we are supposed to be concentrating on Athaweses in Kent, but with the Samuel Athawes/Rev. John Athawes link I hoped this might be the same family.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    The history of Waddesdon at https://www. british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62546#n263 has a reference to a Samuel Athawes who bought Binwell Lane Farm in 1788
    Those refs are to Buckinghamshire. This is the Kent forum.

(EDIT: sorry, didn't see your addition!)
    (FURTHER EDIT: sorry, it isn't the Kent forum - should have gone to SpecSavers!)

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by lauraathawes View Post
    Samuel Athawes and Sarah Mitchell married 19 Aug 1787 All Saints Church, Maidstone, Kent and I have found a possible birth for Samuel Athawes on IGI which is Abt. 1762 Maidstone, Kent. But I can not find a father for Samuel Athawes
    That's confused me a bit. The 1762 Samuel, where did you get his christening in Maidstone from? I can't see it on the new Family Search. The old Family Search has a member submitted record, is this the one? Do you have a burial for your Samuel Athawes, or an age at death?

There is a christening on the new family search for a Samuel Athawes on 13 Apr 1761 at Boxley, Kent. Parents Samuel and Mary.

There are also some wills that may help you sort out the family members. There is a will for a Samuel Athawes of Boxley, Kent proved on 10 January 1758. Can't be the father of the above Samuel, but perhaps he is related in another way, a grandfather possibly. There are other Athawe wills that could help.

It looks like the Rev John Athawes died in 1864 in Buckinghamshire and left a will. It was proved on 8 Jul 1864 and the executor was Edward James Athawes. In the census John Athawes states he was born in Boxley, Kent.

There is also this Cambridge University Alumni entry for John. Athawes.

Name: John. Athawes
    College: TRINITY
    Entered: Michs. 1815
    Died: 21 May 1864
    Adm. pens. at TRINITY, July 4, 1815. [Doubtless 4th s. of Samuel, of Maidstone, Kent; Sacrista.] Matric. Michs. 1815; B.A. 1819; M.A. 1822. Adm. at Gray's Inn, May 23, 1815. Called to the Bar, 1821. Ord. deacon, 1827; priest (Lincoln) 1828. R. of Gt Loughton, Bucks., 1833-64. J.P. for Bucks. and Northants. Married Miriam, dau. of John Browne, of Erith, Hunts. Died May 21, 1864, aged 68, at Loughton. Father of Edward J. (1854) and John T. (next). (Lipscomb, IV. 240; G. Mag., 1864, II. 119.)

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    Those refs are to Buckinghamshire. This is the Kent forum.

(EDIT: sorry, didn't see your addition!)
    Yes, I'm probably barking up the wrong (family) tree entirely. Clutching at straws!

lauraathawes

Quote Originally Posted by Coromandel View Post
    has a reference to a Samuel Athawes who bought Binwell Lane Farm in 1788 and then bequeathed it to Rev. John Athawes. From the date that it came into Rev. Athawes' hands (1822) I presume that this was via the will of Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield
    This is the same family and I have ordered the will and i am now trying to understand it as it goes on forever!! But this is not the father of Rev. John Athawes but the 2nd cousin too him. Or to put it another way Rev. John Athawes father Samuel Athawes was cousin's with Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield!!

lauraathawes

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    That's confused me a bit. The 1762 Samuel, where did you get his christening in Maidstone from? I can't see it on the new Family Search. The old Family Search has a member submitted record, is this the one? Do you have a burial for your Samuel Athawes, or an age at death?
    Yes this is the one that was submitted. I don't have a burial for Samuel Athawes or an age at death nor can I find a Will for him.

lauraathawes

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    It looks like the Rev John Athawes died in 1864 in Buckinghamshire and left a will. It was proved on 8 Jul 1864 and the executor was Edward James Athawes. In the census John Athawes states he was born in Boxley, Kent.
    I do have Rev. John Athawes will but there is not much mentioned in it apart from that all Estates are to be sold and the monies shared between his children.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraathawes View Post
    Yes this is the one that was submitted. I don't have a burial for Samuel Athawes or an age at death nor can I find a Will for him.
    I guess this could be a posible burial for him...

name: Samuel Athawes
    residence: Maidstone
    burial date: 12 May 1826
    burial place: Boxley, Kent, England
    birth: 1758
    (from family search)

There are three Samuel Athawes born around the correct date in Kent. A fourth Samuel died age 0 and can be discounted. It's interesting that two were christened on the same date.

name: Samuel Athawes
    baptism/christening date: 13 Apr 1761
    baptism/christening place: Boxley, Kent, England
    father's name: Samuel Athawes
    mother's name: Mary Athawes

name: Samuel Athaws
    baptism/christening date: 14 Apr 1758
    father's name: Samuel Athaws
    mother's name: Elizabeth Athaws

name: Samuel Athaws
    baptism/christening date: 14 Apr 1758
    father's name: Edward Athaws
    mother's name: Elizabeth Athaws

You could try building a tree for these parents and their other children, to see if you can figure out which could be your Samuel. I suspect that the will of Samuel Athawes proved on 10 January 1758 might help with sorting out some of these Athawes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast