Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    lauraathawes

Hi Olliecat, Thankyou for the information posted about the Samuel Athawes' defently think now reading all of Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield's Will that his parents were Edward and Elizabeth Athawes and that my 5th Gt Grandfather Samuel Athawes was his cousin of Maidstone. He also mentions a late brother Edward Athawes and a sister Elizabeth Athawes, so now i have a little project going on building there tree. He also confirms in the will all of his Cousin Samuel Athawes' male children apart from William and the Edwards so starting to think that these three may have died young.

The death of the Samuel Athawes in Maidstone that you have found i think its defently possible that this is the correct Samuel that i was looking for.

Just have to work out which Samuel Athawes is my Samuel Athawes now out of the other two that are left, have my money on the one that was christened that same day as Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield though. Thankyou again!!

Mutley

Moving sideways I noticed.....
    Married Miriam, dau. of John Browne, of Erith, Hunts
    because Erith was in Kent, well possibly that way, at some point, certainly not Hunts

However, for what it is worth and maybe not much help, Family Search does have
    Miriam Brown baptised on 14 June 1807 to parents John and Sarah at
    Bluntisham-cum-Earith, Huntingdon

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by lauraathawes View Post
    defently think now reading all of Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield's Will that his parents were Edward and Elizabeth Athawes and that my 5th Gt Grandfather Samuel Athawes was his cousin of Maidstone.... He also confirms in the will all of his Cousin Samuel Athawes' male children apart from William and the Edwards so starting to think that these three may have died young.
    It's quite a long will isn't it! I did have a quick peek and he certainly does mention his cousin Samuel Athawes' children a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lauraathawes View Post
    so now i have a little project going on building there tree
    Sorting out Samuel/Mary and Samuel/Elizabeth and Edward/Elizabeth and their children should be fun.

There appear to quite a few children of Samuel and Mary but I suspect there may be more than one generation of Samuel and Mary's having children in Boxley. I did came across a couple of Samuel Athawes and Mary marriages but I haven't tried to place them in context, so I'll just post them for your information...

groom's name: Samuel Athawes
    bride's name: Mary Dawson
    marriage date: 1728
    Canterbury Diocese Marriage Licences
    County: Kent

groom's name: Samuel Athawes
    bride's name: Mary Hopkins
    marriage date: 26 May 1760
    marriage place: High Halstow, Kent, England

There is also this Edward and Elizabeth marriage...

groom's name: Edward Atthawes
    bride's name: Elizabeth Dobbs
    marriage date: 1752
    marriage place: St. Margaret, Rochester, Kent, Eng
    (from family search)

I haven't checked, but some of these parishes may be covered by CityARK. There is a list of parishes/churches covered toward the bottom of the page.

Good luck with your tree Laura. Do let us know how you get on and if any of us can help further, just shout and we'll give it a go.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Moving sideways I noticed.....

because Erith was in Kent, well possibly that way, at some point, certainly not Hunts

However, for what it is worth and maybe not much help, Family Search does have
    Miriam Brown baptised on 14 June 1807 to parents John and Sarah at
    Bluntisham-cum-Earith, Huntingdon
    I thought you'd gone potty for a moment Mutley. I thought who is Miriam Brown - until I went back and read post #5. I guess I should go and sleep and rewire my brain.

There was a marriage held on 25 Sep 1830 at Cambridge between John ATHAWES of Loughton Bucks to Miriam BROWNE, OTP. The marriage was by licence. One of the witnesses was Moses Browne.

lauraathawes

Hi all - here is an update on progress for you!!

I have ordered Samuel Athawes of Swallowfield Will (died 1822) and have slowly managed to read it (all 18 pages of it!!) and he has mentioned all of my Samuel's children, but sadly they are cousins. So still looking for my Samuel's parents!!

However Samuel (Swallowfield) does mention his parents as Edward and Mary Athawes buried at Mortlake Church. (Not as previously thought Edward and Elizabeth.) Edward died 1767 and Mary 1786, not sure which Edward and Mary this is though? He also mentions a brother Edward which has recently passed away and a sister Elizabeth who died sometime ago but married James Tookey. He also mentions his Grandfather no name but he has a tablet at Boxley church.

So i have looked this up on the net and found a picture and have managed to peace togeather the next generation. Samuel Athawes and Ann. Samuel died 1757 and Ann 1733. So i ordered Samuel (Grandfather) will 1753 and have found the children.
    William 1709 - 1763
    Thomas 1705
    Edward - can't find a birth but this must be Samuel (Swallowfields) father
    Samuel - can't find a birth
    Peter 1704
    Anne - 1707, married Richard Holloway 1746
    Elizabeth - 1714 believe she died 1820 as a spinster
    Frances - 1717, married Joseph Charlton 1748

But who is my Samuel Athawes father??

Can any one help??

William Athawes

Hello Laura,

I have looked at all the information on the Rev. John Athawes who happens to be my 3rd grandfather. He was born at Boxley Kent1796 As you have rightly mentioned he was the son of Samuel and Sarah Mitchell married 1787. Have you managed to trace his father and mother yet? My family roots are briefly is as follows:-

me: WILLIAM JOHN FRANCIS born 1944,
    father: HUBERT WILLIAM EUSTACE born 1918 died 1995
    Grandfather: HURBERT GEORGE FRANCES born 1889 died 1981
    Great grandfather 2: WILLIAM AARON born 1839 ?
    Great grandfather 3: JOHN ATHAWES REV. born 1796 died 1864
    Great grandfather 4: SAMUEL ATHAWES/mitchell born 1761 Boxley ?

Have now reached that brickwall. Regards William Athawes Bournemouth
    Last edited by William Athawes; 13-01-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: wrong date

lauraathawes

Hi William,

Yes I have managed to get back further but it has been a little bit of guess work, so not all of it has been confirmed yet, but some wills have aided me on my way. I have listed below as far as I have got to with the Athawes family tree, but have referenced it with occurdance to your line as there are a lot of Samuel Athawes!! (and not just with this line of Athawes it can get very confusing)

Great Grandfather 3: Rev. John Athawes his father was Samuel Athawes M. Sarah Mitchell. John was born 23rd Apr 1795 in Maidstone. There is some confusion on the internet with his year of birth as his christening date is the same as his birth but a year after, 23 Apr 1796. I believe he was also a twin with his sister Sarah. John died 21st May 1864 Loughton.
    Great Grandfather 4: Samuel Athawes father was Samuel Athawes M. Mary Hopkins. Samuel was born in Boxley in 1761, probably around the Jan/Feb time as he was christened in the Apr of that year.
    Great Grandfather 5: Samuel Athawes father was Samuel Athawes M. Elizabeth Hooker. Samuel was born in Maidstone in 1727, probably around the Nov/Dec time as his was christened in the the Feb of 1728.
    Great Grandfather 6: Samuel Athawes father was Samuel Athawes M. Elizabeth Baldock. Samuel was born in Boxley 1700, probably around the Jan/Feb time as was christened in the Apr of the same year.
    Great Grandfather 7: Samuel Athawes was born in Boxey 1674, I have no christening date for him but I have found a death 16th Dec 1757 Boxley he was 83 years old. This is as far as I have managed to get so far!

I have found a reference to a William Athawes in 1324ish but I'm not sure if I will ever get that far back.

I do have a wealth of information on William Aaron and his wife Caroline and also on the Rev. John Athawes and all of his children if you are interested I might be able to fill in some gaps for you, if you have any, and again i have a wealth of information going up the tree.

My family line is as follows:

4th Great Grnadfather: Rev. John Athawes
    3rd Great Grandfather: William Aaron Athawes
    2nd Great Grandfather: Samuel Wilberforce Athawes
    Great Grandfather: Terence Wilberforce Athawes
    Grandfather: Terence Anthony Athawes
    Father: Tony John Athawes
    Me: Laura Mary Athawes

I hope this has helped and please contact me again it is very rare to meet another Athawes doing thier family tree.

Kind Regards,

Laura

P.S. I was just wondering if you knew the surname of the women (Florence E. _______) who married Eustace Edgar Athawes as him and your Grandfather where closer in age than my line is.

William Athawes

hi Laura,

Many thanks for helping me go back several generations. Tracking the name Samual must have been difficult. However Boxley in Kent must have been a good clue. I cannot help with Eustace Edgar's wife Florence E. I'm affraid. Will keep in touch and try and fill in further gaps. the family tree was prepared by my late father's brother Douglas Gerald Francis and living in Baughurst Berks.

Many thanks for your great help

Kind Regards

Will

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I have just joined this organisation. I have dabbled in genealogy over the years, but I know my grandmother was Alice Eleanor Athawes and she was born on 4th August 1870. She had a sister Edith Amelia and a brother, Arthur. I think she is related to Samuel Athawes and it could have been her father. I know she wanted to be buried at Boxley but she was buried at Maidstone cemetery in 1951 (She was Alice May). She was married to Frank May.

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Maggie Weaver.
    Unfortunately the original poster on this thread Laurathawes is no longer a member of Brit-Gen as indicated by the word 'guest' under her user name. This means we do not hold any information for her and cannot contact her.
    This looks like your grandmother in the 1871 census with her parents

RG10 piece 944 folio 82 page 26
    4 Woollett Street East Maidstone Kent
    Robert Atthawes 26 Head Chymest's Porter born Maidstone
    Mary Eleanor Atthawes 20 Wife born Liverpool Lancashire
    Alice Elanor Atthawes 8 months dau. Maidstone
    So her father is Robert not Samuel.

Robert Athawes and Mary Eleanor Dyer married December 1/4 1869 registration district Maidstone vol 2a page 871.

1861 poece 2160 folio 34 page 20
    Back of No 7 Cecil Street Birmingham
    Arthur Dyer 36 Bootmaker born Belfast ireland
    Mary Dyer 34 Liverpool
    Mary E'r Dyer 12 Liverpool
    George Dyer 10 Northhampton
    Eliza Jane Dyer 2 Glasgow Scotland
    Isabella Dyer 0 Birmingham

I will stop here until we know just what information you have and what you still need.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast