Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Geoffwhittaker

Default James Edward William west

Can anyone help me find the above's birth in Nottingham. I know was married in 1902 at the age of 19, but his birth has eluded me. I assume he was born in 1882/3/4 but I have failed to find the birth.He is the missing link in me providing a colleague with a family tree. I also know his father was James West who had deceased by 1902 but that is all I know

Many thanks to anyone who can help

Geoff

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffwhittaker View Post
    I know was married in 1902 at the age of 19, but his birth has eluded me. I assume he was born in 1882/3/4 but I have failed to find the birth.
    Did he marry twice?

Is this the chap in the 1911 census in Basford? If it is, then it will explain why you can't find a birth for him in the UK.

1911: RG14/20432 SN139

If this is not him, then do you have him in the census at all? Also, whom did he marry in 1902?

Famous for offering help & advice

It may be me or my computer but I can see the James that Olliecat has found quite clearly in the official 1911 site index but not at all in the FMP index.

And cannot spot him in 1901 with that birthplace on FMP index or 1901 online.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    It may be me or my computer but I can see the James that Olliecat has found quite clearly in the official 1911 site index but not at all in the FMP index.
    Hmm! Have you tried the census ref. Or search for James Edward William West, born abt 1882, living in Nottinghamshire. Please have a look, in case I imagined him.

I suspect his first wife was Sarah Ann Webb (died 1909) but I'm waiting for a response from Geoff. There is also a possible christening for a James West in 1883 in India.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

not at all in the FMP index.
    There may be a fault. He comes up correctly on the FMP index in 1911 if you omit his middle names.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    There may be a fault. He comes up correctly on the FMP index in 1911 if you omit his middle names.
    I think that's why Kerrywood. I tend to search without specifying middle names on FMP.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quite bizarre - now you see him now you don't! If I key in James Edward William West - no sign - but now he is appearing when I key in James West! There he is with his full name. But go into redefine search and put in the full name - no result. And nothing when I try India for a birthplace.
    But no problems at all on the !911 site.

Well it's probably just me....

PS Thanks Kerrywood and olliecat. I had searched first of all on the 1911 site and found him with full name so used that on the FMP. But still no result on birthplace. So maybe a fault.
    Last edited by grisel; 02-03-2011 at 1:51 PM. Reason: to add ps

Well it's probably just me....
    No it isn't just you. I've noticed middle names problems on that site before. I didn't think about it today - since I automatically just specify first names on that site. Specifying birth places can be hit and miss too. If you enter *India* then you get a result.

I think the middle name issue is a problem with the search engine. Ticking/unticking 'include variants' makes no difference, one still gets an error. I think you have to go to advanced search to specify middle names - not that I bother.
    Last edited by olliecat; 02-03-2011 at 1:56 PM. Reason: added birth place search tip

Geoffwhittaker

Default James edward William west

Yes he did marry twice, first time in 1902 and again in 1909. I haven't looked at the 1911 census as I currently don't have access to it. Thanks for everyone's help I look forward to your replies.

Geoff

Geoffwhittaker

Forgot to mention his second wife was emmeline west and I think his first wife was Sarah Webb but I have handed the marriage cert to my colleague so will have to confirm it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast