Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Geoffwhittaker

Default James Edward William west

With regard to the census I have been unable to find him in 1891 or 1901

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffwhittaker View Post
    Forgot to mention his second wife was emmeline west and I think his first wife was Sarah Webb but I have handed the marriage cert to my colleague so will have to confirm it
    If you do manage to view the 1911 census entry, you will find that he is likely to be the right person.

With regard to the census I have been unable to find him in 1891 or 1901
    Perhaps he was in India with his parents. Can you find out what his marriage certificates say about his father's occupation?

There is this possible christening in India, but the name is not an exact match ...

name: James William Edwin West
    baptism/christening date: 26 Jan 1883
    baptism/christening place: Howrah, Bengal, India
    birth date: 20 Sep 1882
    father's name: James West
    mother's name: Mary Alice
    India Births and Baptisms, 1786-1947
    (from family search)

There is also a possible marriage for the parents...

record title: India Marriages, 1792-1948
    groom's name: James West
    groom's birth date: 1857
    groom's age: 24
    bride's name: Mary Alice Ritchie
    bride's birth date: 1865
    bride's age: 16
    marriage date: 02 May 1881
    marriage place: Howrah, Bengal, India
    groom's father's name: Robert West
    bride's father's name: James Ritchie
    groom's race: White
    groom's marital status: Single
    bride's race: White
    bride's marital status: Single
    (from family search)

Granted, this christening and marriage is rather speculative at the moment.

Geoffwhittaker

Hi Ol. Wow that was quick. His father is shown as deceased on his wedding certs and was a fitter. I have now found Willie West in the 1901 census after your help and he is shown as a bicycle polisher and that fits in with other occupation information I have for the family. It seems that he was born in India and I somehow need to piece together his family. Thanks for the information about the possibility of his parents I hope that it is correct but how do I prove it?

I have now found Willie West in the 1901 census after your help and he is shown as a bicycle polisher and that fits in with other occupation information I have for the family.
    Good job on finding him. I'll post up the census info so we can all have a look.

1901: RG13 Piece: 3153 Folio: 142 Page: 25 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    12 Mona Street, Beeston, Village, Nottinghamshire
    CRYER, William, head, 43, Bicycle Polisher, Park Sheffield Yorkshire
    CRYER, Fanny, wife 41, Park Sheffield Yorkshire
    WEST, Willie, nephew, 18, Bicycle Glazer, East India

Thanks for the information about the possibility of his parents I hope that it is correct but how do I prove it?
    It might be useful to investigate his aunt and uncle.

There is this marriage ...

Marriages Jun 1879 Sheffield 9c 516
    Cryer William
    Kiffe Caroline
    Kiffe Cornelius
    Laycock Mary Ann
    WEST FANNY

If it's the correct one, then Fanny West is a sister of James West, (William's father) and we know she was born in Sheffield around 1860. Let's see if she is in the earlier census.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    If it's the correct one, then Fanny West is a sister of James West, (William's father) and we know she was born in Sheffield around 1860. Let's see if she is in the earlier census.
    Have a look at Fanny West in Sheffield in the 1871 census.

1871: RG10 Piece: 4685 Folio: 7 Page: 7 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

There is a brother James West born abt 1857. Father is called Robert.

Geoffwhittaker

Hi Ol
    Think we have cracked this I've traced thre family using Robert West as the link and it all seems to fit. I would be interested to find out why James went to India, what he did and where he died if anyone can help. Thanks to everyone for all the help it has been invaluable and I really can't thank you enough.

Hi Ol
    Think we have cracked this I've traced thre family using Robert West as the link and it all seems to fit. I would be interested to find out why James went to India, what he did and where he died if anyone can help.
    Hey Geoff, I thought I would have another look at all of this later today. It does all appear to fit; however having to rely on the census so much tends to makes me uncomfortable and it would probably be a good idea to look for further supporting evidence.

Since son James Edward William West was born in India, you could look through the Overseas BMD indexes to see if a birth record can be found for him. A number of 'pay' sites such as 'findmypast' or 'thegenealogist' have these indexes. Failing that, obtaining a copy of that christening record and marriage certificate would be useful, in the hope that the father's occupation is stated.

I did wonder if father James West had joined the army. I did a quick search for army records but couldn't see anything, but it's worth checking again.

There is a Jas West in the 1881 census; a private in the 2nd Battalion of the Coldstream Guards. However, I'm not that convinced. First he states he was born in Highley in Yorkshire. Perhaps this is Heeley in Sheffield Yorkshire, but ... hmm!
    Furthermore, I can't find any evidence that the Coldstream Guards were in India in 1881, (although I'm no way an expert on this.) Other forum member with military expertise may be able to help here.
    Also, the 1881 census was taken on 3/4 April and that doesn't leave much time for him to get to India and get married on the 02 May 1881. So, this Jas West may be a red herring. Here is the census ref for you to look at anyway.

1881: RG11 Piece: 24 Folio: 111 Page: 12 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)

Anyway, let's see what else can be found.

Geoffwhittaker

Hi Ol

Thanksj for the advice. I will do further checks as you suggest, but I've got a gut feeling that everything looks ok. If you follow the census back to 1841 there are links to Sheffield through marriage. Is there any chance you could post details of the 1911 census so that I can see if James William had any children from both his marriages.

Geoff

Thanksj for the advice. I will do further checks as you suggest, but I've got a gut feeling that everything looks ok. If you follow the census back to 1841 there are links to Sheffield through marriage. Is there any chance you could post details of the 1911 census so that I can see if James William had any children from both his marriages.
    The problem is that I really would be breaking terms and conditions. You can search the indexes for free on FMP, so this is what you can do. Go to findmypast and go to the census search page and then click on the "census reference search" link. The link is within the big first section of writing at the top of the page. Then select 1911 from the drop down box. Then enter the following census reference details...

RG14/20432 SN139

I.e. enter 20432 in the Piece box and 139 in the Schedule box. Then click search. You will see a list of the household members, for free.

Now go to FreeBMD, select the Basford registration district and search for WEST births between 1902 and 1911. If I were you I would just include first names from your list. If one name doesn't come up, then try selecting Nottinghamshire County rather than Basford registration district.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast