Barnzzz

Default Sunday Times free Family Tree Maker 2004

Hi, I have my family tree on the above freebie programme that came with my PC. I'm going to get a bigger shinier PC but can't work out how to transfer the information. I was told to load FMT 2004 onto the new PC, then find whereabouts on my old PC the information was stored, then copy it onto a flash drive and 'transfer it over'. As easy as that.................not

I've found where the information is stored and I can't open any of the files. It says the PC doesn't know which programme to use to open them. I've tried putting the FTM disk in and using that but it didn't work. It seems there is no way to copy the info on this programme.

Please, has anyone any suggestions? I'd like to be a geek but I've turned into a bit of a technophobe so I need all the help I can get!

Sue

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Barnzzz View Post
    Hi, I have my family tree on the above freebie programme that came with my PC. I'm going to get a bigger shinier PC but can't work out how to transfer the information. I was told to load FMT 2004 onto the new PC, then find whereabouts on my old PC the information was stored, then copy it onto a flash drive and 'transfer it over'. As easy as that.................not

I've found where the information is stored and I can't open any of the files. It says the PC doesn't know which programme to use to open them. I've tried putting the FTM disk in and using that but it didn't work. It seems there is no way to copy the info on this programme.

Please, has anyone any suggestions? I'd like to be a geek but I've turned into a bit of a technophobe so I need all the help I can get!

Sue
    Hi Sue

I copy my FTM data and back up files to a flash drive every week. I just use COPY and PASTE within Windows Explorer.

David

Assumimng your old computer is still working . .
    I would run up FTM on it, then from 'File' menu do 'Copy/Export', selct Gedcom as type and a pen/flash/card as the drive. This should get your file to the drive in Gedcom format.
    On the new comupter, start FTM, then do 'File' and 'Import' pointing to the *.GED file on the external drive - it should prompt you for names etc. as necessary.

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Barnzzz View Post
    Hi, I have my family tree on the above freebie programme that came with my PC. I'm going to get a bigger shinier PC
    Sue, do you already have the new PC - is the OS (operating system) Windows 7 ?
    I was told to load FMT 2004 onto the new PC ... I've tried putting the FTM disk in and using that but it didn't work
    When you insert the FTM program disk, does it try to autoload, giving an error message?

Sounds as if you haven't managed to install the FTM software. Perhaps this old 2004 version isn't "compatible" with the new OS.
    There are ways round this if you have Windows 7.

As for your data, can't you export from within FTM on the old computer? Best practice is "belt and braces" - export as an FTM file, then a gedcom as Andrew suggests. Save both files to your desktop, then copy to a flash drive or CD.

I don't think the gedcom will include any pictures embedded in your FTM file - but gedcoms can be read by any FH program, you might like to try something else e.g. the free version of Legacy Family Tree (just google).

Richard1955

Hi Sue.
    Not familiar with Family Tree maker myself but you will need to export the file from your program as a Gedcom file and save it somewhere. Then you can send the gedcom file to a CD, pen drive or even email it to yourself.
    You may find that the 2004 version may not work or install on your new computer but you will still have the gedcom file that will open in most other programs.

Barnzzz

Hi everyone and thanks for all your help. The new (scary) computer is arriving on Sunday with Windows 7, which I've heard supports old programmes better than previous versions. Maybe my old freebie disc is still OK.

Thanks to help from the lovely people here I've managed to transfer the information from my old computer onto a flash drive (discovered what this was only yesterday) and hopefully I'll be able to transfer it over on Sunday. If it all goes horribly wrong for some reason, its all on paper so all is not lost. It just means I'll have to get a shiny new family tree programme to go with the nice shiny new computer !

Thanks everyone
    Sue