Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Longies

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the response.

And ..... thanks for opening up a "can of worms"

I am going for the most logical explanation, which is that ANOTHER John Longland arrived in SA during 1846. As he already had 1 child, I have to assume that it is not the one I am looking for (our John Longland and wife had their first child in 1853). Just as Longland is quite a common surname in England, it is a very scarce surname in South Africa.

But.... I have found names of Longlands which I could not link to our family tree. Probably those are descendants from the John Longland who arrived in SA during 1846. It seems as if their tree ended somewhere, when probably somewhere there were only daughters. All "existing" Longlands in SA can be linked to our tree.

Thanks for this info. Will follow up with my Longland friend in England, whether he knows something about the 1846 John Longland.

Greetings.

Johan

Default Dr. William Simpson - Settler Ship

According to my research, Dr. William Simpson arrived on Settler Ship Mary Ann Sophia to Port Elizabeth, 1832. His last son James was born 1832 on the ship, he married Helena Frances Henman. Check out www.1820settlers.com. James Simpson is my great great grandfather. His son was Charles Joseph Simpson (1860 - 1942 burried in Johannesburg). Check out www.
    myheritage.de

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12