Thread: Journeyman

junedye64

Default Journeyman

My G Grandfather Alfred Russell was in 1851 aged 18 a long way from home in Kidderminster Worcs. His home was Kent but his parents were originally from Shropshire/Staffs/Worcs area.

His occupation was Plumber & Glazier Journeyman.

When you are a Journeyman, are you serving your apprenticeship or have you completed it?

I'm trying to decide whether he had gone to the area to serve his apprenticeship or look for work.

June

Brick wall demolition expert!

A journeyman has completed his apprenticeship.

https://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journeyman

Apprentices were often indentured to masters located far away from their home parishes. He may well have served his apprenticeship in Kent and remained there once he attained journeyman status. Or he may have moved around, looking for work. It's difficult to be conclusive here.

junedye64

Thanks for your answer Ollicat.

How would I go about finding his apprenticeship records? If they survived of course.

I've never looked for these records before.

June

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    He may well have served his apprenticeship in Kent and remained there once he attained journeyman status.
    Duh! I meant he could have served his apprenticeship in Worcestershire.

junedye64

Oh Olliecat we clashed.

Quote Originally Posted by junedye64 View Post
    How would I go about finding his apprenticeship records? If they survived of course.
    Ah!

Official records of apprentices were kept in England/Wales between 1710 and 1811 when stamp duty was payable on indentures of apprenticeship. The duty was abolished in 1804, well before the time your Alfred was an apprentice.

Some companies retained apprenticeship and membership records and there are also Livery Company records, held at the Guildhall.

Basically, you'll be very lucky to find anything around the time that Alfred was apprenticed, simply because apprenticeships became a matter private agreement after the abolishment of stamp duty and the state did not keep records, (apart from apprenticeships relating to paupers.)

If you want to learn more about apprenticeship records you could start with these guides.

A brief guide from the National Archives.

A more detailed guide from the National Archives.

Other member may have ideas on where you could look for apprenticeship records around the 1840's.

junedye64

Thank you for your help Olliecat

June