Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RobinC

The two Thomas Witherell's from 1821 that I have come across during my research were born in Beedon and Cholsey.

The family lived in Brightwalton which is 4 miles from Beedon and 15 miles from Cholsey.

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Going back over this thread, I have just looked at some hints on Ancestry and there is this record:

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
    Name: Thomas Witherall
    Birth Date: 28 Mar 1821
    Christening Date: 1 Feb 1824
    Christening Place: Cholsey, Berkshire, England
    Age at Christening: 2
    Father's Name: Thomas Witherall
    Mother's Name: Martha

How can I tell who are the correct parents of the Thomas Witherell that I'm a descendant of?
    Looking at the information you have from the census, your Thomas consistently says he was born in Beedon & Chieveley Berkshire. If you look at a map (use googlemap or a road map) Beedon & Chieveley are a stones throw away from each other, where on the other hand Cholsey appears to be miles away.

Wilkes_ml

There is also a marriage of a Hannah Wetherell to a Richard Jemmett in 1826 at East Illsley, which is also right on top of Chievely & Beedon. It may be possible that she is still alive in the census ( not that it will help you much as I doubt Thomas will be with her in 1841!)

Wilkes_ml

It looks like Richard & Hannah have 7 children with them in 1841, so if this Hannah is your Thomas's mother, and you follow them through the census to her death, you may find that she leaves a will naming him. Or if she dies after her husband, Thomas may register her death.

added reference HO107; Piece: 874; Folio: 9; Page: 11 indexed under Jemmott!
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 25-08-2013 at 8:03 PM. Reason: edited to include reference

Wilkes_ml

This may be a bit of a wild goose chase, but you never know, if Hannah is indeed Thomas's mother, it may help to confirm her parantage.

Hannah was widowed between 1841 and 1851, and by the 1851 census she is married to William Waite, and living at Eye and Dunsden Ref: HO107; Piece: 1725; Folio: 337; Page: 19

She gives her age as 46 (her husband is 28) and her place of birth is Compton, Berks.

RobinC

I have come across Hannah & Richard Jemmett before and I think that Thomas could have been the illegitimate son of Hannah, with Richard possibly being his father.

I think that Thomas from Beedon is the most likely candidate to be my 4 x great grandfather but I'm still erring on the side of caution.

Wilkes_ml

Hannah Jemmett married William WAIGHT September Quarter 1846 Wokingham Ref 6 425

This should give her father's name hopefully and should confirm her baptism. Thomas may even be a witness if you are lucky.

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post
    Hannah Jemmett married William WAIGHT September Quarter 1846 Wokingham Ref 6 425

This should give her father's name hopefully and should confirm her baptism. Thomas may even be a witness if you are lucky.
    I think I may have to get the marriage certificate to see what information I can get, if any.

Wilkes_ml

It was a big gap between Thomas' birth & baptism in 1821 and Hannah's marriage in 1826 so it's unlikely Richard Jemmett was Thomas' father. Thomas' marriage certificate should give his fathers name if it was after September 1837, which I assume it would be. If he left the father's name blank then it would confirm that he did not know his father, and confirm that Richard Jemmet was not his father (although he may have put his father down as Richard Wetherall to avoid embarrassment).

RobinC

I thought I had Thomas's marriage certificate but it doesn't seem that I have so have just ordered it.

I've ordered the certificate but I haven't received the confirmation email for some reason.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast