SAConnection

Wink The Loch Family of Rachan Estate, Peebleshire

Good morning everyone,

I've been referred to this forum by the good folk at Brit Gen main forum with the assurance that it's the best place to ask about all things Scottish, so........here goes.

My great-great-grandfather, John Loch, was born on the family estate, Rachan, in the latter half of the 18th century. I know virtually nothing about the family apart from that scrap of info. He was married, and had a son, Frederick John Loch, around 1817. However, his first wife died in childbirth on the 6th Sept 1817. The announcement appeared in the "Caledonian Mercury", 9 Oct 1817, although they were, by this time, living in Youghal, Ireland. He remarried, probably the next year, to one Bridget O'Connor, but I'll try the Irish folk for info on that one. His first wife's name is not given - only refers to Mrs Loch, wife of Captain John Loch, late of 25th Regiment of Foot" I've put her on my family tree of "The First Mrs Loch" so a name would be wonderful.

Also, according to the good folk who answered my query:

MARRIAGES
    'At Rachan, on the 14th ult., the Rev. ALEXANDER BROWN, minister of Muirkirk, to Miss LOCH, daughter of John Loch, Esq., of Rachan" The 14th ult appears to have been the 14th Nov 1820 - the notice appeared in the Aberdeen Journal on 6 Dec 1820.

I have a copy of a hand-written document of my great-grandfather's potted history - written by his daughter in 1915 - in which she states that he was a cousin to Lord Henry Loch, Governor at the Cape in the 19th Century. I think they were probably 1st cousins, as "the 7 brothers each had a castle". Working on that gggrandfather's father must've had 6 brothers!! Oh, and at least one sister

There's a military lead as well, but it's been suggested that I go to the Military Forum for that one.

Many thanks in advance. I know it's a long time ago, but any info you can dredge up for me will be very much appreciated.

Regards
    Jane

As Jane has another thread running on this family I am closing this one to avoid duplication of effort. If anyone can help, please add answers here.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids