Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    brad

Default Duchess of Barnsley

Can anyone help? How does one research this? Resided in Barnsley. Second cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. I can't find her birth records, or the other marriages. Her death gives her both as Jesue L D Benson and Jesue L D Hammond.

Jesue L D, (le Duchesne?), born 6 April 1911, died Feb 2000 Doncaster, Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire, England.
    Married to Chambers?
    Married to Sutherland
    Married to Norman Benson, Jul-Sep 1954
    Married to Hammond

malcolm99

Well unless this is a joke I wonder if you've seen this: https://
    www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/genealogy/royal/
    There are at least Bensons and Hammonds in the lists but I haven't done a thorough search!

Good luck...

Mutley

Had she been born four days earlier, she would have appeared on the 1911 census, how inconsiderate of her mother
    however, her parents should be there.

The information you have given seems to come from the indexes, do you have any certificates that provide additional information?

Mutley

I think you need to order that 1954 marriage certificate to find her previous names, 2d/1373

Sadly, in this time frame, I doubt members can assist from information that is available online.

brad

Trying specifically to determine her maiden name. Is Royalty registered in the BMD? Have an exact birth date but come up blank with her birth, even with wildcard searches.
    Now that you mention it, Duchess of York sounds more likely.
    Have applied to a family member who has the so mentioned letter in his safe keeping, but could take a while before I get a copy. Which has Jesue's full title and address. It has been many years since I last saw this document, but remember her as being addressed as Jesue la Duchesne da la Benson.
    Will order the so mentioned marriage certificate, but still find it weird that the other marriages are not searchable.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    remember her as being addressed as Jesue la Duchesne da la Benson.
    Will order the so mentioned marriage certificate, but still find it weird that the other marriages are not searchable.
    Given the format of her name, have you considered that earlier marriages might have been outside England/Wales? You could try the overseas marriage indexes, or a wider-ranging search at FamilySearch.org.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    .Now that you mention it, Duchess of York sounds more likely.
    Hi Brad
    The time frame seems wrong. Before he became George VI, he was the Duke of York and his wife, Elizabeth, was the Duchess. I think that there was then a gap until Sarah married Prince Andrew, Duke of York in 1986.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

bibliojunkie

Hello brad. This is an interesting query. Some random thoughts:

Do not rely solely on information given on death certificates. The informer might not have had accurate details regarding date/year of birth. I have the birth and death certificates of two ancestors. Dates on them do not match but I know I have the right people.

remember her as being addressed as Jesue la Duchesne da la Benson
    In what context do you recall the above? It is not necessarily correct form depending on the woman's status. Duchesse, not Duchesne, is French for Duchess. When I lived in Montreal, I knew two Duchesne families. Also knew a Spanish American male whose first name was Jesue rather than Jesus. His family wanted to avoid any religious disrespect in a non-Hispanic community.

I’m wondering if Jesue is a mistranscription of Jessie. However, I cannot find a Jessie Chambers who married a Sutherland (or vice versa) and then a Benson and later a Hammond in BMD.

If there is a royal connection, it is not immediately apparent in The Times Court Circulars archives. Could Benson be Anson? There are royal links with the latter. Ditto with Sutherland, a Scottish title. May be worth searching Scotland’s People database.

Order the 1954 marriage certificate as advised by Mutley. It does mean spending money but, fingers crossed, will put you on the right track. Let us know how you get on.

Ali

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Definitely not Duchess of York.
    The last three holders of the title (according to Wikipedia) were Princess Mary of Teck, who later became Princess of Wales before her husband George became King George V in 1910 and she became Queen Mary.
    Then Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, wife of George VI, and Sarah Ferguson.
    Pam

Mutley

I've spent quite a lot of time looking at this and admittedly there is some confusion with the index entries regarding her names.
    The certificates for the 1954 marriage at Upper Agbrigg, Yorks and her death in Doncaster in Feb 2000 are available to order but I can find nothing, in newspaper reports or any of the sites online to suggest a Royal connection.

Sorry, I am afraid this is one where you have to pay for the certificates to find the information that you are searching for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast