Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you Mark
    I will now go and try it out.
    Christina

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    PS You use Ancestry. Don't buy their product (Family Tree Maker) just because it sounds easy or safe. Please assess all the alternatives before deciding.
    I downloaded the basic (FTM) years ago for free, it still seems to work fine and does all I need at the moment as a receiver of information.
    I can back up the gedcom elsewhere to do other things with and have done, now I know more.
    It is useful for the program to be connected to Ancestry while I have a subscription with them, saves a lot of entering of manual entries (providing you limit what you receive).

If you are a beginner then it can introduce you to the world of saving your information on your own PC while using the format that you are familiar with on Ancestry. We all start somewhere and learn as we progress.

When I cancel my sub, I might be looking elsewhere, though again, if it ain't broke I may just leave well alone.

Bertie

Although I make no recommendation on this, I would just add a couple of points regarding FTM:

(1) If you are a canny buyer, do not have an existing sub with A**y, and need to consult census, BDM etc. records you can effectively get the software for 'free' as it is bundled with a 3 or 6 month sub. (depending on which version): e.g. via Amazon or Play

(2) Even if you no longer have a sub., the software still 'looks' for people matches on your tree with trees on the A**y site and gives suggestions for census, baptism, death etc. matches - if you 'click' on the individual it shows what these are. I've garnered (without much effort) some very useful additional information that way (which I always check independently!)

Mary Young

Try running Legacy Family Tree on your computer, I thoroughly recommend it. The Standard version is "free forever"

https://
    legacyfamilytree.com

Do make sure that any program you use, can "export to gedcom". Then if you switch to another program, you won't have to re-enter everything!!
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 14-02-2011 at 5:34 PM. Reason: direct link removed - they sell things

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi,

On my computer I use a program called Family Tree Legends which was free I have blocked from accessing the Internet as it contains details of living persons. At a glance I can see a couples names, dates of birth, death and marriage and the places and a list of their children with their dates of birth. A simple click of the mouse will take me to a child's page or to a parent's page. There are also back pages where additional information can be recorded.

For on line I use Ancestry.

Regards
    Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12