jamesdon

Default GELL family ERBISTOCK

I am seeking help to continue the search for my GELL forebears. My g g g grandfather THOMAS GELL appears on the 1851 census and purports to have been born in Erbistock, Denbigh in about 1792 with his wife Catherine born in the same place in 1791.

At the end of last year I visited the Erbistock records, then temporarily held at Bersham. On consulting the records I found the baptisms of his 8 children recorded but no mention of either him or his wife Catherine or any sign of a local marriage. He was a gamekeeper and he began or continued a long line of gamekeepers who worked on estates country wide but most seemed to eventually gravitate to the Shropshire/Montgomeryshire border area.

The children were Jane Bap 3/6/1821, Thomas Bap 12/1/1823, Francis Beech Bap 26/9/1824, John Bap 6/8/1826, Daniel Bap 3/8/1828, Mary Bap 7/11/1830, Elizabeth Bap 1/12/1833, Frederick Bap 24/4/1836.

I have followed each of these family members forward but I am stuck where to look for a marriage or birth of Thomas. This area is difficult as it is close to the point where Cheshire, Denbighshire and Shropshire meet.

Any ideas much appreciated

georgiep

Hi just to say I've sent an error into Anc@@
    They have Frederick in 1851 as Pinaburk...

georgiep

Coromandel

The relevant family history societies may have baptism/marriage indexes for this period. Here are some:
    • Family History Society of Cheshire.
    • Shropshire FHS
    • Clywd FHS (for Denbighshire info)

Google will find their websites. There may well be other societies covering the area: check GENUKI or the Federation of Family History Societies (FFHS) site for details.

If you're not doing anything next weekend it may be worth a trip to the Cheshire Family History Fair at Northwich (Saturday 19th Feb): I expect many of the societies in the area will be there, ready and willing to give advice, do look-ups and sell you stuff.