Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burma Ruby Mine

sandpiper1809

Default Burma Ruby Mine

Hoping someone can help. I am coming back to my family tree after a short break and now cant seem to tie up details for my g.g.grandad who worked as a manager of a ruby mine in Burma. The information I have noted down (But do not have any other proof such as death cert etc) is:-
    William George Trott
    Born 1856 Petherton Wales
    Died: 1908 in (Mogok) Burma aged 56

I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction to finding his death cert and also if there is anyway of finding out the reason for his death.
    Any help would be most appreciated

Reputation beyond repute

He is listed in the National probate Calendar - of Broadway Dynaspowys St Andrew Glamorganshire died
    11 Feb 1908 in Moguk Burma...

Have you got his will? You'll want to get it if you haven't.

If you want the death certificate, try the overseas indexes available on Findmypast or the standard repositories. If found you can order from GRO. If nothing found, you may have to contact the Burmese authorities. I hope you don't get put under house arrest.

sandpiper1809

As a newbie to tracing my family tree, could you please advise how I go about finding his will.

Reputation beyond repute

could you please advise how I go about finding his will.
    Just send a fiver to York

See https://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

Coromandel

Now that you have the exact date of William's death (from the National Probate Calendar entry quoted by Peter above) you could try looking in the local newspaper covering the area where he lived in Wales, to see if there was an obituary. There's a list here showing which old newspapers are held at Barry and Penarth libraries: if any of these look promising to you, try asking the library if they will check for an obituary. You should also be able to see the same newspapers, and many others, at the British Library Newspaper Reading Room in Colindale (near Hendon).

P.S. there are some nice old photos of Mogok here
    www.
    ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-burma2.htm
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 09-02-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: direct link to site containing advertising

sandpiper1809

Wink

thanks for the info.
    Have requested a copy of the will from York.
    Could it be that I am sitting on a tidy little nest egg of ruby's that my G.G Grandad put aside!!

clementina

William Trott is my great grandfather. He was a mining engineer, born in Somerset, who worked in Spain and then went to Mogok as an Assistant Engineer for the Burma Ruby Mining Company. His brother Walter also worked there. I have researched this family (among others) for many years. His death does not appear in the Ecclesiastical returns for Burma at the British Library, nor in the consular returns, although the British Consul in Rangoon did have a copy of his will (which is kept at the British Library). There was a brief obituary notice in either the Cardiff Times or the Western Mail, (can't remember which until I search my files) which just said he died suddenly. He is not buried with his wife in St Andrews Major, Glamorgan. William's youngest child, Lily, was my grandmother. She could remember her mother packing up Christmas cake and presents to send out to Mogok , (which was a very difficult journey up the Irrawaddy river from Rangoon) I have two photos of William taken in Rangoon; one includes his daughter Mary who went out as a missionary for a short time. I have lots more info if you are interested!

sandpiper1809

Thats fantastic. I would love to know more information about William Trott and if you have pictures too even better!
    I managed to obtain the will which I received the other day.
    Look forward to hearing from you. If you would prefer to email me direct, my email address is

Karen At howcroft5 DOT wanadoo DOT co DOT uk

Karen
    Last edited by Procat; 21-03-2011 at 9:18 AM. Reason: Email edited against spammers

clementina

Hello Karen, I've seen your other message and can confirm that your g grandfather William had a sister Lily (my grandmother) I've tried twice to reply to that message with a lot of info, but when I try to send I get logged out so I'm clearly doing something wrong. Can you confirm your email address starts with a capital K and the rest is lower case?

sandpiper1809

no sorry, its all lower case
    Karen

karen AT howcroft5 DOT wanadoo DOT co DOT uk
    Last edited by Procat; 22-03-2011 at 7:38 AM. Reason: Email edited as putting it on the open forum will attract spam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast