Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brett Cairns

Default Re: Britt/Brett Wimborne Minster Dorset

Hello:

I am Brett Cairns living at Villiers Corner Ontario Canada .
    My roots are in Newfoundland.
    My G.G.Grandfather is Edward Britt
    born Wimborne 1804 and died Paradise Twillingate Nfld. 1870
    I am looking for any information re; Britt/Brett 's of Dewlish,
    Poole, Wimborne and Christchurch to follow my past history.

There are 3 or 4 Britt/Brett brothers ? / familys
    who settled in Nfld.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Brett

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a christening for an Edward BRETT at Wimborne Minster, Dorset on 05 Aug 1804. Son of Robert.
    (Dorset FHS)

There are some other BRETT children christenings in Wimborne Minster. Do you have these?

Brett Cairns

I do not have the other christenings.
    I would be very thankfull if you would send them to me.

There is a Robert Brett in a list of patrons
    in " Slade " ledgers of " Fogo ' Nfld., from 1784.

This looks promising!

I have " Edwards " history from arrival in Nfld.,
    if anyone is interested.

Brett

A few more christening for you - where the father is Robert ...

• Charles BRETT on 21 Oct 1799 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert
    • Robert BRETT on 14 Nov 1802 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert & Catharine
    • John BRETT on 05 Jun 1811 at Wimborne Minster, Dorset. Son of Robert & Mary. 2 years old

(Dorset FHS)

I'll have a look for Robert BRETT marriages in a sec.

When did Edward BRETT settle in Newfoundland? Do tell us a little more about him.

Brett...
    ...me being 'slow and not with it' I just realised this is your first posting to this forum. So let me say welcome.

Brett Cairns

A little of Edward Britt planter.

The planters came to settle and protect the fishermens supplies.
    The Indians ( " Beothucks " ) would steal the supplies in winter while the fishermen
    went home to Eng. with fish and furs ,which would have to be replenished each spring.

This all takes place in Notre Dame Bay Nfld.

Twillingate originally Toulinguet

Edward Britt ( stone )( 1804 - 1870 ) settled at Paradise Twgt. N.I. in the early 1820's.
    He married Mary Guy ( ???? - aft. 1870 ) date unknown. ( N.I.-North Island same N.S. North Side )
    Both are burried in St. Peters Anglican Cemetery Twgt. N.S.

According to the " Diary of William Young " they had 5 sons and 6 daughters

There is a Will of Edward Britt.at ngb.chebucto.org .

His children seem to have all been born at Paradise, named so by Edward.

The following daughter and 3 sons are not in the Will.

Arabella ( ???? - ???? ) married Henry Shave ( 1821 - ???? ) born Nov. 25 1821 Christchurch Hampshire Eng.,
    died May14 1911 Indian Buring Place. He was wharfinger at Nippers Harbour.

Assarella ( ???? ???? ) married Jane Rideout born 1824 Twgt. N.I., died ?? Nippers Harbour.
    Assarella in the Will is their son.

Edward Jr. ( ???? - ???? ).

Robert ( ???? - ???? ).
    Assarella, Edward Jr. and Robert drowned of Brehat while hauling seal nets.

Ann ( 1832 - 1909 ) married James Peyton ( C1836 - 1894 ) born Back Harbour Twgt. N.I.
    Both died and were buried St. Peters Anglican Cemetery Twgt. N.S.

Matilda ( ???? - ???? ) married Ambrose Roff or Rolf
    They lived at Tilt Cove

John ( ???? - bef. 1898 ) married Elizabeth Whitehorn born 1843 Twgt. died 1911 Paradise.
    Both are burried U.C. Cemetery Twgt. N.I.

Mark ( 1845 - 1934 ) married Rosanna Roberts ( 1849 - 1936 ) born Wild Cove, Twgt. N.I.
    Both died and were buried Pleasantville South Arm.

Elizabeth ( 1843 - 1916 ) married James Hodder ( 1842 - 1911 ) born Twgt. N.I.
    Both died and were buried Congregational Church Cemetery, Robins Cove, Twgt. South S.

Catharine ( 1847 - 1938 ) married William Thomas Baird ( 1846 - 1913 ) born Back harbour Twgt. N.I.
    Both died and were buried Congregational Church Robins Cove Twgt. S.S.

Susan ( ???? - ???? ) married Walter William Manuel born 1847 Back Harbour Twgt. N.I.
    They lived at Griquet North Shore.
    She died ??? , he died St. Johns.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Cairns View Post
    Edward Britt ( stone )( 1804 - 1870 ) settled at Paradise Twgt. N.I. in the early 1820's.
    He married Mary Guy ( ???? - aft. 1870 ) date unknown. ( N.I.-North Island same N.S. North Side )
    Both are burried in St. Peters Anglican Cemetery Twgt. N.S.

According to the " Diary of William Young " they had 5 sons and 6 daughters

There is a Will of Edward Britt.at ngb.chebucto.org
    Hi again Brett. I was just about to ask why you thought Edward Brett was born in Wimborne. Then I found the will you mentioned. I'll post a link to the will for others to look at - I hope that's ok.

https://
    ngb.chebucto.org/Wills/britt-edward-3-160.shtml

He states ...

"I Edward Britt native of the town of Wimbourne in the County of Dorset England"

I'll just go and read the rest of it. Do you have any idea where his wife Mary Guy was from? Do you think they married somewhere in England.

Dorset Girl

Brett,
    Just as another avenue, in case you have not found it, the Dorset OPC have seveal Britt families in the Dorset area - https://www.google.co.uk/cse?cx=partn...ritt&sa=Search

Cheers, Marion

Brett Cairns

The vast majority of the people in Newfoundland at this time in history originated in England, supplanting the French in the mid 17 th century. Twgt. to this day is a small village. A lot original settlers were probably from the same part of Dorset.
    The other half of my direct family on the Brett side are Forwards.
    The Forwards of Sturminster Newton Dorset.
    John Forward of Sturminster first settled in Carbonear, then moved to Tizzards Habour. He was a brother to Charles Forward of Sturminster ( who settled in Carbonear and died in Spear Hr., Labrador ) and George Forward of Sturminster b. 1786, d. 1857 at Carbonear ( who settled in Carbonear and married Susannah Taylor at Harbour Grace Dec. 1815 ). His Father was the brother of John Forward of Sturminster who married Ann Taylor.
    There is a record of a John Forward fishing in Notre Dame Bay in 1750.
    I would sure like to sort out this connection to England.

Back to Mary Guy.
    I know little fact of her.
    I believe she may be the daughter of Hezekiah Guy " 1768 ".

From the " Fisherman of Notre Dame 1700 - 1900 " Part 1. Hezekiah Guy 1768
    From the " Baptisms, Parish of Twgt. 1816 - 1823 " Hezekiah Bartlett Guy married Ruth Adams d/o John and Emma Adams of Indian Burying Place. Hezekiah B. may have been the son of Hezekiah or Robert Guy.
    From the ' Fishing Rooms of Twgt. and vicinity 1806 " Thomas Guy, Alexander Guy, and Robert Guy.
    I would think Edward 1804 and Mary ???? were married here.

Further Britt :
    This jumble.

George Britt bc 1730 dc. 1825 Dewlish. married Jane ?????? buried 1771 or 89 Dewlish.
    Their children all born Dewlish.
    1 Samuel Drake b. 1791? married Rosannah Randall C1827, she from Christchurch Dorset
    2 George married Sarah ?????
    3 Susannah
    4 Hannah
    5 Susannah
    6 David Drake
    7 Henry married Sarah Drake parents of Mary Elizabeth Brett who married Jacob Vincent son of George Vincent b. 1779 Dewlish d. 1850 Victoria Au. who married Sarah Bagg/Begg b. 1770? d. 1835 Dewlish. Jacob's bro. James b. 1803 Dewlish d. Nfld.

The families in Alice Springs Australia say that Mary Elizabeth Brett had 4 Brothers who settled in Nfld.

There seems to be a generation missing/ or a second marriage.

Brett

The vast majority of the people in Newfoundland at this time in history originated in England, supplanting the French in the mid 17 th century ...
    The other half of my direct family on the Brett side are Forwards. ...
    I would sure like to sort out this connection to England.
    Well it certainly looks like you have an interesting set of ancesters to sort out. One suggestion, you could post another thread on your Forwards ancesters. It might become confusing to try and sort out both your Bretts and Forwards on this thread.

Back to Mary Guy.
    I know little fact of her.
    I believe she may be the daughter of Hezekiah Guy " 1768 ".

From the " Fisherman of Notre Dame 1700 - 1900 " Part 1. Hezekiah Guy 1768
    From the " Baptisms, Parish of Twgt. 1816 - 1823 " Hezekiah Bartlett Guy married Ruth Adams d/o John and Emma Adams of Indian Burying Place. Hezekiah B. may have been the son of Hezekiah or Robert Guy.
    From the ' Fishing Rooms of Twgt. and vicinity 1806 " Thomas Guy, Alexander Guy, and Robert Guy.
    I would think Edward 1804 and Mary ???? were married here.

Reading Edward's will which was proved in 1870, he states...

"in the 67th year of my age having lived in the Parish of Twillingate Newfoundland nearly 49 years"

Since he wrote the will in 1870, that would place him in Newfoundland about 1821, when he was aged 18 or so. It does look good for him marrying there.

Further Britt :
    This jumble.

George Britt bc 1730 dc. 1825 Dewlish. married Jane ?????? buried 1771 or 89 Dewlish.
    Their children all born Dewlish.
    1 Samuel Drake b. 1791? married Rosannah Randall C1827, she from Christchurch Dorset
    2 George married Sarah ?????
    3 Susannah
    4 Hannah
    5 Susannah
    6 David Drake
    7 Henry married Sarah Drake parents of Mary Elizabeth Brett who married Jacob Vincent son of George Vincent b. 1779 Dewlish d. 1850 Victoria Au. who married Sarah Bagg/Begg b. 1770? d. 1835 Dewlish. Jacob's bro. James b. 1803 Dewlish d. Nfld.

The families in Alice Springs Australia say that Mary Elizabeth Brett had 4 Brothers who settled in Nfld.

There seems to be a generation missing/ or a second marriage.

I've been trying to figure out the connection between these Bretts from Dewlish and your Edward Brett. Just to clarify, do you suspect that Mary Elizabeth Brett and her brothers are related to Edward Brett? Are you hoping to establish a connection between them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast