kblov011

Question Seeking info on Andrew Keough 1818-1900

Great great grandfather born in Banagh, Wexford Ireland - not sure which area this is so may be in wrong forum group. He married a Mary Kane (could be Keane), apparently married when he arrived in Aus in 1842, died in Singleton. Parents apparently Michael Keough and mother Martha Howlett, just can't find any proof of birth or anything about parents. Any suggestions? thank you Kay

helenk

Hi,

I don't know if I'm connected to your KEOUGH, but he happens to live and die where I have known relatives in the area at the same time - Branxton & Singleton. Also my grandfather was KEOGH born allegedly in Narrabri 1896 - yet to be proven. Could we be connected??

Helenk
    Quote Originally Posted by kblov011 View Post
    Great great grandfather born in Banagh, Wexford Ireland - not sure which area this is so may be in wrong forum group. He married a Mary Kane (could be Keane), apparently married when he arrived in Aus in 1842, died in Singleton. Parents apparently Michael Keough and mother Martha Howlett, just can't find any proof of birth or anything about parents. Any suggestions? thank you Kay

kblov011

Helen - please email me on

kblov01 AT yahoo DOT com DOT au

I believe we probably are related although mine is connected to Martha Keough who married George Cooke. She was born in 1844. We may be able to work out your line - several of Andrew and Mary's children were actually christened without the "u" in Keogh, think only 3 were christened with the "u". Look forward to hearing from you with any information you have so that I can help you. Kay
    Last edited by Procat; 14-04-2011 at 8:17 AM. Reason: Email edited against spammers

Duncs62

Default Keough Family- Andrew & Martha ( nee- Keane)

Hi kay,

I'm in the same boat as you, I am a decendant also of the Cooke & Keough family, My family line comes from Edgar Cooke, he was the son of Andrew & Martha. My grand father was Ronald Cooke he was the son of Edgar Cooke. According to the emigration record Andrew was from Banagh, Wexford, Ireland.. I have spent numerous hours trying to find Banagh in Wexford Ireland,with no results I'm starting to think maybe this place name has been written wrong by the person who filled in the emigration record, this is a possibility. The only place I can find the name Banagh is a barony in Donegal, Ireland, and Not Wexford, Or the other possibility is Andrew was from Wexford, and before he departed he was living in the Barony of Banagh, most likely he would have departed for Australia, at the port- Derry /Londonderry ( most of the emigrants departed from here ), Derry or Londonderry is close to the border of Donegal.

If I find any evidence I will share this information with you. my email address is- magpies62(AT)bigpond.com

kind Regards

Michael

helenk

Thanks for the info you sent me off line. While I'm sure your KEOUGHs and my WHEELERs and DOOLAN/DOLANs knew each other in Braxton and Singleton, somehow what I have (which is very little) doesn't fit with my KEOGHs. Maybe a different branch of the family? Or maybe a coincidence. My Stephen Patrick KEOGH was born circa 1870 place unknown. Lived in Narrabri and Surry Hills in Sydney. His wife Mary Louisa DOLAN/WHEELER was born 1871 in Singleton. The DOOLAN/DOLANs and WHEELERs are well documented. My particular KEOGHs are not. Since contacting you I have found out more about the KEOGH descendents but not their ancestors! There is talk that they came from St Kilda in Victoria, there are some possibilities, but that could be a confusion with the St Kilda estate in Bankstown in NSW which one of them had a connection.

Cheers,

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by kblov011 View Post
    Helen - please email me on

kblov01 AT yahoo DOT com DOT au

I believe we probably are related although mine is connected to Martha Keough who married George Cooke. She was born in 1844. We may be able to work out your line - several of Andrew and Mary's children were actually christened without the "u" in Keogh, think only 3 were christened with the "u". Look forward to hearing from you with any information you have so that I can help you. Kay