Thread: District Puzzle

Starting to feel at home

Default District Puzzle

Well probably not a puzzle for some, I hope
    I am looking at 1881 census for a family living in Old Sarum, but the Registration district is: Alderbury
    Sub-registration district: Britford

also just taking one child Henry Maple born 1873 birth reg is marked as Alderbury as well. 1891 census says born along with other siblings as Stratford-sub-castle, which is on the north side of Salisbury (old Sarum area)

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this was so

jac65

Hi

The Alderbury Registration District covers a far larger area than Alderbury itself. The link below has details of the area covered. You will see that Britford is one of four sub-districts. I don't know the area but it may well be that Stratford-sub-Castle is in the area covered by the Britford Sub-District

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...alderbury.html

Andy

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for the replies. I live in Salisbury so know all the suburb and village locations. Alderbury is a village about 5 miles south/eastish of Salisbury. Hence my confusion/surprise that it, as a registration district, covers such a large area, including suburbs close into, both south and north of, Salisbury. Guess it down to the rural nature of the area at that time.
    thanks
    Adrian