Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    kblov011

Default Seeking info on Darcy family, Clonmel County

Hi - am new to the forum and live in Australia. Am seeking info on my great great grandfather Michael Darcy believed to be born in Clonmel in 1811 to David Darcy and Margaret Kelly. Michael came to Australia at some stage but I have no idea when, he married a Mary Harvey in 1840 in Australia. His father and mother were married supposedly in 1807 in Darling Hill County.

Also seeking family of Andrew Keough born in Banagh, Wexford - he was born in about 1818 and moved to Australia in 1842.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi kblov011, can you tell us where you have looked up to now? to prevent double up searches. What records do you have to suggest the dates you do give here? Any titbit helps us to help you.
    Nice to see you here, enjoy the forums & good luck.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

kblov011

Hi Wendy - thanks for responding so quickly. Info I have is from other family members, I have been doing family tree on ancestry.com but find too many people are just willing to copy info without investigating a little. One woman on there though has verifications but even though I've emailed, no response - I have searched an Irish website (paying as I go) with no luck. They lived in New South Wales, although they travelled backwards and forwards to South Australia and Mary's mother was a Thomasin Venning Harvey who had immigrated there. Kay

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Kay, a rather mixed up day for me today, left no time for searches. Several Michael Darcys popped on Ancestry Passenger lists some convicts many born in the wrong year or arrived too late.

Have you checked out Passenger lists to Australia yet?
    Do you have Michaels death or obit records? these may tell how long he's been in the Colony. sorry to give moe questions than answers, but they do help in searching.

Having seen a death notice for a Michael D'Arcy parents David & Margaret 1880 at St.Leonards. It may make a diference n searches with the differing name spellings.
    A child Mary also died in that year at St.Leonards Parents Michael & Mary

Sorry I have to leave this here for now.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

kblov011

Thanks Wendy - please don't waste too much of your time doing this. Michael died on 2 June 1880 in St L as you said, the name seemed to be D'Arcy and then Darcy. There was also a couple of other Michael Darcy's who were no relation. The story goes that Michael came to Aus with one of his brothers, not sure if it was David or John and settled in around Bega area but Michael and Maria (alias Mary, May) Harvey were married in Bathurst on 17/11/1840, had 10 children - none a Mary unless I am missing that one. Have tried checking lists but lot of Michael's and not sure of year although would have had to be before 1840 obviously because of the marriage. Not quite sure of where to look for obits. K

julesbythesea

Hi Kay. Found this wonderful site and saw your post. We too live in Australia and my husbands' 2nd ggrandfather, George Venning Harvey was your Maria Venning Harvey's brother. We have her as Maria not Mary though could have been known as both names and a dear relative in England has provided us with wonderful research with a very elaborate family tree. He is related through the brother of Maria & George's father, Edmund Harvey who died in Cornwall. Back to Michael D'Arcy, I have been able to get quite a lot of information on the D'Arcy family through NSW History Societies and would be so happy to pass it on as well as information on Maria's family.She had 2 sisters and 3 brothers and all but Edmund settled in SA hence the reason her & Michael spent some time here. Edmund settled in Oberon and we have been in contact with his family, some who still live in the beautiful little town. Her mother Thomasine married again and lived to a ripe old age of 94 dying at Rapid Bay, SA but we have yet to find where she is buried as the local council in their wisdom when they amalgamated decided they didn't need the records and burnt them!!!!! Just hope that some family member I haven't found yet might know the answer. Also we have them having 11 children 1 being born before they were married but with the name D'Arcy-Maria was only 15 when they married and Michael 29. Being new to this forum not sure how I could get the info to you but would be happy to email or post if we can fathom the best way to go about it. Lovely to "talk" to a long lost relative Kind Regards Julie

kblov011

Hi Julie - thank you so much for responding. Likewise it is great to talk to another "relative". Since posting this I too have found out some info on the family so we may be able to swap info. Sorry I took so long to respond but have been in Sydney for a few days. I live in Canberra. I think I've found the Thomasin and children's arrival in Australia plus a record of a Thomasine Harvey being charged with concealing the death of an infant in 1828, the year Edmund died. I do have Mary as Maria but she also went by May. I tried to find Thomasine as well especially having married Will Dinham, I thought with a name like that it would be easy to track but SA seems very poor on their records. My email address is kblov01 AT yahoo DOT com DOT au I look forward to hearing from you. Kay

vezna

Default Ellen May D'Arcy grand daughter here

My Aunty Mary had a paper.I will not use my real name for reasons of privacy.Maria Venning Harvey was born in Cornwall,Southern England.The last Celtic region in England.The language is close to Welsh .Venning is one of the few truly Welsh names around.Michael D'Arcy was Irish but French by descent going back to I do not know when .Arcy is a region In France.D' stands for of.It is a French noble name common in Ireland now in some regions.Italian and Spanish names have this too. 5 French bros left France and 3 went to England and 2 to Ireland. They may have been French Hugonauts. French Protestants- Our relatives went to Ireland..If Michael was the first D'Arcy to come to Australia,his sibling/s went to the USA>We have distant relatives there.Ellen May D,Arcy died over a decade ago at age 96.She had her last child(14th) at 51.Her spouse was Finnish. Johan Wilhelm Michels.Good luck.I hope you find what you are looking for.Maria Venning Harvey died in her 30s after giving birth to a large number of children.The family tree is quite tragic and full of premature deaths.

vezna

They were free settlers - not convicts.Michael come from a family of 13 or 14 children.Most were dead before they were 30 and many died in childhood or their teenage years. Irish potato famine maybe or deliberate cruelty from the English.We will never know.Maria Venning Harvey was dead at age 32 after giving birth to 10 kids.

kblov011

Hi Vezna - am now in Cornwall and have visited the Historical Society here, they say Venning is not Welsh but an old Cornish name. Also could you tell me who Ellen`s parents are - I thought an Ellen Darcy was daughter of John Darcy and Ellen O`Neill. Thanks K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast