Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vezna

Cool

Her mother was a D'arcy as well.She was born out of wedlock.Father unsure.
    Forgot the first name

sorry

vezna

Going back to the 1600s,Maria Venning Harvey,her ancestors names looked Jewish or semitic(Arabic).My Aunty Mary would not have had the cultural experience/education to identify them but i do.Did not say anything to her about that.Jews were expelled from Portugal/Spain during the 1600s..We are all human either way and what difference does it make where they originate from. Welsh/Cornwall-almost identical languages.Good luck.

Treesn'Hills

The Thomasin Harvey charged with murdering her newborn infant early in 1828 - the infant was recorded as being illegitimate - cannot be the same Thomasin Harvey - her husband did not die until Oct 1828.
    Thomasin - Mrs Harvey (snr) arrived in Sydney with her eldest son and his wife, her daughters Caroline and Mary and Master Jno. Harvey on the UPTON CASTLE - as Intermediate passengers. Also on the shipping list was Mr Dinham. The vessel left Plymouth 16 Oct 1837 and arr. Sydney 23 Feb 1838. Charles Dinham married Caroline Harvey in Sydney in 1838 before they traveled to South Australia. Dinham and George Harvey were in business in Adelaide by January 1839. Charles Dinham had purchased land at the land sales in London in 1836, in partnership with Dr James Benjamin Harvey; this land was at Rapid Bay. Charles Dinham's older brother William Dinham married the widow Thomasin Harvey in Adelaide on 4/1/1846. She was recorded as 50 and he as 43.
    Sadly, Sophia Fildes (Newton) Harvey the wife of Dr James, died there in 1842 as did Dr James Benjamin Harvey in 1843. Their two small orphaned sons returned to England, where one died not long after arriving, the other went on to marry twice and left issue.
    The relationship of Dr James Benjamin Harvey with Caroline, the wife of George Dinham is not known, but more than likely they were cousins. Dr James was practicing in Cornwall before migrating in 1838 on the Rajasthan to Adelaide.

Dinham

Hi,just noticed your post,where do you fit in the thomasine harvey/dinham story please?
    She is my ggg grandmother.
    Last edited by Dinham; 05-06-2014 at 5:18 AM. Reason: Spelling

Dinham

Hi,I Know where thomasine is buried at yankalilla.

Treesn'Hills

Default DINHAM and DARCY, Clonmel

Sorry, I don't know anything of the Darcy's - The Dinham connection came about by way of researching ancestral connections who came out on on the Rajasthan and a later court case about the orphaned Harvey boys on their return to England - I was aware Thomasina was buried at Yankalilla - but she has no connection to my family - although I'm uncertain that Dr Harvey's wife, maiden name Newton, may possibly have been a relative of my extended family. Thought adding the details of Thomasina's marriage to Dinham was worth putting on the forum.
    Treesn'Hills

kblov011

Maria Venning Harvey (Thomasin's daughter) married Michael D'Arcy - they were my great great grandparents.

Dinham

Default Darby family,Clonmel Coun

thanks trees for some interesting info I did not know about Dr Harvey and that Cape Jarvis land purchased in 1836.
    Charles Dinham my GG grand father,had an older brother Dr John Dinham died youngish in 1856 may have been a friend of dr Harvey.The Harveys Charles travelled with to Sydney in 1839 with the Harvey's who .came from Tregoodwell close to Camelford in Cornwall.He married Caroline HARVEY in Sydney daughter of Thomasine.
    Now a question please,how did you find the names of land purchases in Adelaide and South Australia in 1836?
    Charles Dinham and George Harvey had a store called Dinham and Harvey on the Bee hive corner from 1839? to 1841.
    Hullo Kblov,
    DO you live in adelaide?
    l do not know any Harvey's in Adelaide or SA but I reckon there are lots of descendants of George Harvey here.
    I have read of Mr Darcy,lots of letters have survived,he lived with the Dinhams and Harvey's in Adelaide in the 1840's,he spent time coming and going to the gold rush in VIctoria in that period.
    There are some keen Harvey researchers in NSW if you need help.
    Cheers,will help if need be.

Treesn'Hills

South Australian Land Owners 1835-1841 available on CD @ SAGFHS or Mortlock Library, Adelaide
    Recently lodged book at both venues, "Litigious, Loquacious George" George Clisby and the extended Clisby family in Australia - contains brief notes re the Harvey's and Dinhams.

I also used British Newspapers and other PRO documents at Kew, London as my sources. I have nieces who are Vennings and understsand the Venning family in S.Australia have been extensively researched.

Dinham

Thanks trees,
    As I said just found this site,your quick reply was great so I do appreciate it.
    How can I contact Jules by the sea,a previous poster a mrs Harvey I think and hopefully kblov I think both Adelaide people?
    Also did you search those above site by internet or visitation or purchase the DVDs via mortlock library please?
    Robert M Dinham Vale Park cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast