Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Qisha

Default Gagette Family Roots

What is the latest on the Gagette's, especially where they came from in Italy etc? I have some general information on where they lived etc in the Bethnal Green area.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

If you can post more details about your GAGETTE family (first names, dates etc.), tell us what you already know, and exactly what you're looking for, it will be easier for members to help you.

Also, just out of interest, how sure are you that they were Italian? Bethnal Green is better known for French (originally Huguenot) families than for Italian ones.

Between 1833 and 1903 there were 19 marriages for a Gagette in the Bethnall Green area.
    FMP has an Elizabeth Gagette baptised 1803 at Bethnall Green.
    None of the census records starting at 1861 on ancestry and 1881 on FMP show any of them born outside of UK.
    Amend that there is a Claude Gaget born France 1845, a confectioner in the 1881 but he is living in Yorkshire.

Qisha

Will need a lot more time before I can do this. Word of mouth through the family says they came from the French Italian border during the French Revolution - nothing about being Huguenots. My mother's cousin has a lot of info on them, eg, the name died out because it was eventually changed to Silk, because they became involved in the sillk trade; she has a fantastic group photo as well, in which they appear very well-to-do in top hats. I am just sorting through my father's research on them.

Qisha

Thanks, do you know where in France he was born? It might be of help in attaining from where the Gagettes originated

lcov

Hi Qisha
    Here is some info I gathered a few years ago when I was trying to research my Gagette ancestors.

Philip James b 1805 (c)
    Elizabeth b 1808
    Mary Ann b 1811 (c)
    Kezia b 1817 (c)

The records I have found are either baptism or marriage records for St Matthews Church, Bethnal Green so I have always assumed they are siblings. My 4x Gt Grandmother was Kezia and on many records and documents her surname is spelt Gagettee, I have also seen records where Philips name is spelt Gagettee so I guess it is a clue to the pronounciation. The only clue to their parents names are on the IGI for Elizabeths baptism - Sarte and Ann.
    My mother said her uncle claimed they had Italian Ancestry, but I have also wondered if It might be French.
    Hope this is some help to you, I will be interested in anything that you have on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Qisha View Post
    Thanks, do you know where in France he was born? It might be of help in attaining from where the Gagettes originated
    Sorry to take so long in answering.
    The census just said France unfortunately.

brien

Hi, First time user, my grandfather was Henry Herbert Cole, father Henry William Cole, mother Catherine Mary Gagette, born 1867, and sometimes spelt Katherine Mary Gagatte, father George Gagette. I have been searching for the origins of this family and have always assumed they were Hugeonot, based largely on circumstantial evidence, residence Bethnal Green etc. I would very much like to know where they came from. Does anyone know how my family fits in. Also there is a Gagette family in Quebec 1800 - 1820 does anyone know how they are related.

lcov

Hi Brien,
    I have dug out my Gagette scribblings from a few years ago, they have been difficult to research due to misspellings/mistranscribings as I sure you have found! So, according to my notes :
    George Gagette b 1841 (father of Katherine Mary b 1867) was the son of Philip James Gagette (have found him spelt Gagettee also) & Ann Brien (married 6/9/1832 Bethnal Green).
    Philip James and Ann's other children were:

Philip b 1834. married Priscilla Green 1857 Bethnal Green.
    Eliza b 1838. married George Meers 1863 Bethnal Green
    George - your ancestor. married Ann Leader 1860 Bethnal Green.
    Katherine b 1848. I have a ? by her, not sure why and no other info about her.
    Mary Ann b 21/6/51 christened St Leonards Shoreditch 20/7/1851. married James Coleman 1878 Bethnal Green.
    I have also seen a record on Ancestry for a Kezia Mary Ann Rosina Gagette parents named as Philip James and Ann. I will have to pay to view the record to get dates and as times are hard at the mo that will have to wait!

To refer back to my original post, the 4 Gagette siblings, Philip being the only male to carry on the family name, all the Gagettes that I've found in London ( in England in fact) are descended from him. I believe it was the father of these 4 siblings who came to England around 1800 from either France or Italy & married an english woman, hence they all had english christian names. This is only my theory of course!
    Re the Quebec Gagettes, I have'nt found a connection to our lot I'm afraid.

Hope this is of interest to you.

I

brien

Thank you, very, very helpful. It fills out some my understanding Kezia Mary Ann Rosina seems to come up as Mary Ann in census records, and as you say the spellings changing with every record don't help. Circumstantial evidence I know but looking up french names on the French site Gagette doesn't exist, but Gaget as a family centres around Lyon and the towns just to the east of Lyon, Cessieux in particular this fits with the possibility that they were involved in the silk trade which took place in Lyon prior to the revolution but dispersed immediately afterwards, following the Huguenots to London where the silk trade was taking place in Bethnal Green. That doesn't mean, of course, the Gagette's came from Lyon. I hope we can get back to France.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast