Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lcov

Interesting stuff from Qisha & Kerrywood! Some info I already have and some I dont so thats great.
    The Santo Gegeto - Ann Haynes marriage I had come across and wondered if they could be the parents of Philip James and the 3 sisters. I'd not seen the original though. Its been great to see I'm not alone in that theory and the baptism records that Kerrywood has found (Gay Jatty & Jetty) seem to point that we are on the right track.

As I have said in earlier posts I am descended from Kezia Gagettee and Richard Crouch Bloxham through thier son William (b.1841) and his wife Lucy Matthews (b.1842). They married 14th April 1861 at St Marys Haggerston, witnesses were Kezia and Richard.

I have evidence that suggests that Lucy Matthews was the daughter of Mary Ann Gagettee and John Matthews, so Lucy and William were first cousins (assuming that Kezia and Mary Anne Gagette(e) were sisters)

1. On Lucy & Williams Marriage Certificate her fathers name is John Matthews.
    2. Her baptism at St Leonards on 1st January 1843, her parents are John & Mary Anne Matthews.
    3. On the 1861 census, Lucy Matthews is in Kezia & Richard Bloxham's househiold listed as 'Niece' (prior to her marriage to William in the same year).

I have not been able to obtain the conclusive evidence I need, her birth certificate with her mothers maiden name as I have'nt yet found her birth registration, I have searced on and off for a few years now and have more or less given up.

So Kerrywood, with your super searching skills, I wonder if you would help!?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by lcov View Post
    I have not been able to obtain the conclusive evidence I need, her birth certificate with her mothers maiden name as I have'nt yet found her birth registration, I have searced on and off for a few years now and have more or less given up.
    Like you, I can't find a birth index record for Lucy. She may not have been registered, or may have been registered with a different first name, or the entry may be missing from the GRO index. But other members of this forum are wizard at searching the GRO indexes and may yet turn something up.

If nothing can be found, you could try contacting the local register office, in case Lucy's birth was registered locally but never reached the GRO, which does occasionally happen. The relevant register office is now Hackney. As you have the date of birth (from the baptism register) this would be a standard search.

www.
    hackney.gov.uk/copy-certficates.htm

Otherwise, you may have to settle for a sibling's certificate, as follows ...

Quote Originally Posted by lcov View Post
    2. Her baptism at St Leonards on 1st January 1843, her parents are John & Mary Anne Matthews.
    The record of Lucy's baptism in the register reads ...

1 Jan 1843
    Lucy, d. of John & Mary Anne Matthews, 10 Wood's Building, Carman
    Born 11 Dec

The address matches the 1851 census.
    HO107/1533 folio 151 page 12 (reference to record held by TNA)

Looking at the family in 1851, there's a sister Harriet aged 10 born Shoreditch. This may be her birth ...

Births
    Mar Qtr 1841
    Matthews Harriet
    Shoreditch vol 2 page 369

London parish registers show a possible baptism for her ...

St Leonard Shoreditch
    31 Jan 1841
    Harriet, d. of John & Mary Ann Matthews, Woods Buildings, Carman
    3 wks 4 days

Given the father's address and occupation, it seems inescapable that Harriet and Lucy are siblings. So Harriet's birth certificate may give you the information you need on Mary Ann's maiden name.

If ordering that certificate, please check the index reference for yourself in case I've mistyped anything. Alternatively, you may want to order a certificate without the GRO reference, specifying that the parents should be John and Mary Ann.

lcov

Thanks Kerrywood that is very helpful.

I think I will try through the registery office in Hackney and if nothing comes of that , I will get Harriets birth certificate. I have thought about doing that before but have put it off in the hope of eventually finding something for Lucy.

Qisha

Default Re: gagette

Having gone through most of my other ancestry, I am just now going through all the Gagette information I have and am writing it up into context. Everyone who has posted appears to have the 19th information well sorted but, as of now, I still adhere to the Italian ancestry theory because that is what has been passed down through the family to several descendents. Also the story goes that they fled the French Revolution, at least that is what I grew up on. Because I live in SW France, when I just now typed in Gagette here in the internet library, the name was recognised and there were several references. I shall be in the UK from late April to early May and should be on-line more often. Hopefully I will have finished my write-up by then and can pass it on.
    Regards

Qisha

Default Re: Gagette and Gageto

PS, I have just tried the name Gageto. It also comes up, the name of an artist in Reunion. All association with the names seems to be connected with France.
    Waiting on replies
    Regards
    Qisha

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

First time poster, wondering if this thread is still active? I am a Silk, and family legend says that an ancestor came over from Italy, with the surname Gagette. Someone in the family then bought "Silk & Sons" builders merchants and adopted the name Silk rather than change the company name. We have a ladder in the family with the Gagette name on it. I think an uncle has some research which I am hoping to get hold of. Is anyone else who's researching this name still around? Thanks!

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Silky8. You may be lucky and make a contact through this thread, but while you wait, why not look around and see what else is here? Alternatively, if you ask one of the Moderators, we can move your message and give you a research thread of your own.

Whatever you choose. enjoy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123