anthonyharding

Default Baruch Lousada Barrow: Barbados/ Jamaica

Hello

I am involved in a project reconstructing the family tree of the Baruch Lousada Barrow family. They come from the Abravanel, Arbabanel, Arbanel etc line. They were Sephardic Jews who left the Iberian Peninsula via Netherlands and Britain to become traders, plantation owners (with slaves) in Barbados and Jamaica) who later become Anglo Jews, with some settling in the USA, Australia, South Africa and elsewhere. Please contact me.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello, you have wide geographical range here. If you would care to add a little more detail -- perhaps some dates, or a century -- it might be easier for members to connect.

carolinelangton

I have a beautiful hand written indenture document dating from July 8th 1873 which I found in a recycling box in a London street last year. It concerns the marriage settlement between Marion Helen Mocatta and Herbert George Lousada and runs to quite a few pages of copperplate script, covered in seals and stamps etc. It might help your research. Let me know if you would like me to send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyharding View Post
    Hello

I am involved in a project reconstructing the family tree of the Baruch Lousada Barrow family. They come from the Abravanel, Arbabanel, Arbanel etc line. They were Sephardic Jews who left the Iberian Peninsula via Netherlands and Britain to become traders, plantation owners (with slaves) in Barbados and Jamaica) who later become Anglo Jews, with some settling in the USA, Australia, South Africa and elsewhere. Please contact me.

anthonyharding

Dear Kerry. I am thrilled about Caroline's response. I have asked a family member in Sussex to contact her directly. We have also made contact with family from the Goldsmid/ Lyon de Symons side of the family, which last married into the Baruch Lousadas in the 1800s.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thanks for the update. We're always glad to know when Brit-Gen has helped to make a connection.

bibliojunkie

I’m stunned someone would throw away such a document without bothering to trace the family/owner or consider donating it to an archive or museum. Perhaps the culprit felt the action was mitigated somewhat by using a recycling box.

Well done Caroline for spotting the document and taking the time to search for an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyharding View Post
    I am thrilled about Caroline's response.
    That must be an understatement Anthony!

Ali

Hello

I've been looking for my fourth great grandmother who has the first name of Ann and no last name. I believe she may be related to the this family indirectly. She married outside of her religion to a gentleman named Thomas Ward and had a daughter named Jane Ward. Thank you

I’m sorry to have to tell you that only one of the other people on this thread is still a member of BG. You can see this by the tag “guest” under their name. We are not allowed to retain info for ex-members under privacy laws, so they won’t know about your interest.
    However, a lot of people have joined since those messages were posted, so don’t give up!

I have posted on the Jewish Roots forum but it maybe worth noting that Henry Goldsmid married Sarah Ward Ogle- her parents James Ogle and mother Sarah Ward. In addition, Catherine Isabella Garnett married Rev George Ward. Catherine had a relationship with Edward Crawcour. These 2 lines relate to my Anglo Jewish lines through marriages. Without further details on Thomas Ward it is not possible to confirm any relationship to these lines. The question is what is the last name of Ann.
    The London Marriages and Banns records do show numerous Thomas Ward names associated with an Ann but without checking almost one thousand records ( assuming your Ann married in London) there is no way of identifying a relationship between a Jew marrying a non Jew.
    As I posted on the Jewish Roots thread more information is required on who was Thomas Ward including dob/ birth place and what possible last name Ann might have had and why you think she was a Jew.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"