Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Peter,

Can you tell us more about Frederick Seaton Burrows? On what records have you found him? How have you traced back to him? Who did he marry/where/when? Who was your grandfather, and where/when was he born?
    I too would be interested in knowing more about Frederick.

In the meantime, I did find this interesting christening ...

• Mary Coombe Burrow on 22 Dec 1833 at Milton Town, Milton Abbot, Devon. Parents Thomas and Martha. Occupation labourer.
    (from the Devon FHS)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTomlinson View Post
    I have an extract from a handwritten family tree for "Thomas Burrows, eldest son of Wm Burrows baptized at Plymouth in 1803 married Miss Coombe in 1824, has a family one son and two daughters"
    Well I can't quite match the date, but there is this ..

• Marriage of Thomas Burrow and Martha Coombe on 03 Dec 1825 at Milton Abbot, Devon

(from the Devon FHS)

Lizzy9

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post

• Marriage of Thomas Burrow and Martha Coombe on 03 Dec 1825 at Milton Abbot, Devon
    (from the Devon FHS)
    Well done, Olliecat. Surely that must be him even though it's a year out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Surely that must be him even though it's a year out!
    It would indeed be nice if it's him:
    I've been looking for other children of Thomas and Martha and may have found a christening for a son. The son may be in the 1851 and 1861 census, married with children; the trouble is, I can't see a child Frederick there.

Perhaps better to wait for info on Frederick from Pete.

pennydog

I can't see a child Frederick there.

Perhaps better to wait for info on Frederick from Pete.
    As I read it Frederick Seaton Burrows is the grandson of Thomas and Martha, so the son that you found, Ollicat, could well be right. Well done with all the info that you have found.

PeterTomlinson

Well firstly, can I say what an amazing bunch you are! I floated this query on a board that didn't appear to be too lively, and scarcely dared expect a response. To get this much progress on what I felt was a dead end (even if that was mostly due to my own stupidity) has been amazing. One question - don't you guys ever sleep? 2 am and 3 am for replies??? Wow!

Right, having had my shut eye and a day and a half's work (don't ask!), here is some info on Federick Seaton Burrowes.

Firstly, I THINK he is the grandson of Thomas Lane Burrowes. It is not impossible that he could have been the son, but he would have had to be a rather late birth, and I felt before that was pretty unlikely, and having seen what I have learned in the last day, I now consider it even less likely that he was the son. But still not impossible.

I don't know if I am allowed to post links to a family tree on a very well known ancestry site or whether that is bad form, but I do have all the info listed.

Essentially I know about FS Burrowes from living family working backwards.
    I know he lived all his life in Brazil (although I believe he maintained his British nationality). His sons did go to school in England (Tonbridge School) but lived in Brazil and there are several records of him travelling back to England at various times (1901, 1904, 1909, 1912), with various family members. Unfortunately none of these had an age, so I have not been able to calculate a dob. I do have a photo of him, which I can date to about 1917 +/- a year, in which he appears to be about 60 +/- 5 years.

He & his wife harriet Sholl, had several sons, possibly 5 (the eldest may have died at birth or very young) the other 4 are recorded to a greater or lesser degree.

The 2nd son Ernest Francis Burrowes (note the 'e' has been added in the name at some point) is my grandfather. he married Ivy Gladys Reeve (my grandmother) in St Saviour, Paddington on 28th April 1917.

The youngest son (Guy Elvyn Burrowes) was born in London 14/4/1908, but I don't know why they were here then. They certainly went back to Brazil after, and Guy became a leading light in the Brazilian scouting movement.

OK, that's probably enough! The bit I can't fathom out is the bit between Thomas Lane Burrows and Frederick Seaton Burrowes - whether that is just one or two generations, and finding out who emigrated to Brazil and when and why.

Needless to say, if you supersleuths have any insights, I would be delighted to hear them!

PeterTomlinson

(from the Devon FHS)
    Well this is a huge find.
    Notwithstanding the year difference, that surely has to be him & "Miss Coombe".
    And that places him with Martha in the 1841 census, with a son John, born 1830
    Is that the son you found? The one with the possible christeing record????

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTomlinson View Post
    And that places him with Martha in the 1841 census, with a son John, born 1830
    Is that the son you found? The one with the possible christeing record????
    Hi Pete. This is the son I found ...

• Thomas Burrow on 23 Mar 1831 at Milton Town, Milton Abbot, Devon. Parents Thomas and Martha. Occupation labourer.
    (from the Devon FHS)

I also came across christening records for two more daughters (one possibly died), I'll post the details shortly - I haven't typed them up yet.

I was also wondering if this was Thomas Burrows jnr ...

1851: HO107; Piece: 1879; Folio: 439; Page: 1; (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Living at Philadelphia Level, Willow Street, St Andrew, Plymouth
    Elizabeth Dowe 58, head
    Mary E Burrows 18, dau
    Thomas Burrows 19, son-in-law, born Milton Abbott, Devon
    Joseph Burrows 8 mo, gson
    Joanna Dowe 14, dau

1861: RG9; Piece: 1442; Folio: 102; Page: 51; (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    Living at Philadelphia Level, St Andrew, Plymouth
    Thomas Burrows 30, head, iron and brass founder, born Milton Abbott, Devon
    Mary Burrows 28, wife
    Joseph Burrows 10, son
    Samson Burrows 7, son
    Thomas Burrows 3, son
    Mary Burrows 1, dau

I was hoping for a son Frederick. Haven't given up yet.

Hi Pete. This is the son I found ...

• Thomas Burrow on 23 Mar 1831 at Milton Town, Milton Abbot, Devon. Parents Thomas and Martha. Occupation labourer.
    (from the Devon FHS)

I also came across christening records for two more daughters (one possibly died), I'll post the details shortly - I haven't typed them up yet.
    These are the other two christenings ...

• Hannah Burrow on 25 Oct 1826 at Milton Town, Milton Abbot, Devon. Parents Thomas and Martha. Occupation labourer.
    • Sibella Burrow on 15 Mar 1830 at Milton Town, Milton Abbot, Devon. Parents Thomas and Martha. Occupation labourer.

and one burial ...

• Burial of Sibella Burrow on 22 Mar 1830 at Milton Town, Milton Abbot, Devon. Age 14 days

Will see if I can find any others.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast