FredW

Default LUTON / LEWTON family in Gloucestershire

Hello,

This is one family that has proved rather difficult possibly because some of the records are Non-conformist.

Aaron LUTON b. abt 1798 Siston, Gloucester + Ann HODGES - marriage has not been found yet.

They had 4 children that I know of:

1) George LEWTON b. 1815 Bitton d. 18 Nov 1866 Vic., Aust.

George Lewton - Baptism 13th August 1815 at Hanham Abbots
    Son of Aaron & Ann of Grimsby Green
    Fathers Occupation - Fish Hawker

married ? - record has not been found yet.

Elizabeth PEACOCK b. 1815 Bitton, Gloucester d. 1893 Clifton Hill, Vic., Aust.

A daughter Elizabeth Ann LEWTON b. abt 1838 - birth/baptism has not been found yet.

George arrived in Victoria, Australia with wife Elizabeth (Betsy) and daughter Elizabeth (Eliza) Jan 1857 on 'Thomas Arbuthnot' from Kingswood, Bristol, Gloucester.
    Assisted British Immigration
    Name Age Book Page
    George 48 12 273
    Elizabeth 42 12 273
    Elizabeth 17 12 277

Looks as though George's age has been recorded or transcribed in error as 48.

2) Elizabeth LUTON - Aaron & Ann
    b. 26 Aug 1818 c. 22 Sep 1818 Kingswood School-NC, Bitton d. ? - Death has not been found yet.

3) James LEWTON b. abt 1822 Bristol, Gloucester d. 18 May 1902 Waterloo, NSW, Aust.

Birth/baptism record has not been found yet.

married 31 Aug 1882 Sydney, NSW, Aust.

4) Joseph LEWTON b. abt 1826 Kingswood, Gloucester d. 24 Jun 1898 Redfern, NSW, Aust.

Birth/baptism record has not been found yet.

married abt 1848 in England - record has not been found yet.

Mary PEACOCK b. abt 1827 Kingswood, Gloucester d. 11 Jan 1885 Goulburn, NSW, Aust.

Unassisted
    LUTON JOSEPH 30 DEC 1857 MORNING STAR B 137 004
    LUTON MARY 28 DEC 1857 MORNING STAR B 137 004

I hope someone can help me fill in some of the gaps. Thanks.

Regards,

Fred

Settling in

Hi Fred,
    No wonder you could not find the marriage of Aaron and Ann. It took place in Sedgley, Staffordshire on 27th May, 1821.Her name is Hannah Woolley and his is Aaron Lewton [which is sufficiently unusual to say this is the one]. She was christened at St Thomas Church Dudley Worc. in 1797. All this I found on the IGI. But I got the clue about Woolley because I have a Australian/UK subscription to Ancestry and a public member tree there has Aaron and Hannah's details on it.
    I also found Aaron and Ann living in South Hamlet, Gloucestershire in 1851 census. His occupation is described as Pin Whitener. He has some interesting visitors - Thomas and Eliza Green both aged 21. On the freebmd.org.uk site I found that Elizabeth Lewton had just married Thomas Green sometime in the 3months prior to the 1851 census. This can't be the Elizabeth Lewton daughter from 1818, but maybe they called another one born in 1830 Elizabeth too. Ann's mother's name was Elizabeth.
    Incidentally, there are lots of Luton/Lewtons on Ancestral File on the familysearch.org old format site. Some descendants turn up in Randwick NSW which is a coincidence as that is where I grew up. They seem to be from a different family belonging to Isaac and Hester Lewton. Hope this helps, Linda

FredW

Hello Linda,

Thanks for looking but sorry to say that is not my Aaron. There are two:

Aaron LUTON - Siston, Gloucester
    c. 19 Aug 1798 - William & Sarah
    c. 25 Nov 1798 - Aaron & Martha

One (I don't know which one) as you say married Hannah WOOLLEY and they had children including Matilda and Rachel. They can be found in the 1841 census but my family has only been found so far in 1851.

I have the death certificates of three of the children and parents are Aaron LEWTON & Ann HODGES.

Regards,

Fred

TonyHarrison1000

Default LUTON/LEWTON Family

Hi Fred
    I know your query was posted about 18 months ago but in corresponding with someone researching Lewton I passed on your message and they sent back the following link which seems to answer your questions.
    https://www.
    forum.familyhistory.uk.com/showthread.php?t=18710

Regards
    Tony

Jan1954

Hello Tony,

Unfortunately, FredW is no longer a member of Brit-Gen and so will not necessarily see your post.

TonyHarrison1000

Hi Jan
    Since you have access to members list perhaps you have an email for FredW and could drop him a line. I am sure he would appreciate it
    Regards
    Tony

Jan1954

Hello Tony,

I am sorry, but that is not possible as no email address is held for FredW. You will see that he has the word "Guest" beneath his user-name. It is this that indicates that he is no longer a member.

TonyHarrison1000

Default Lewton

Thanks Jan I think I might have found him and have emailed him
    Regards
    Tomy