Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    alliejaye

Default Joseph and Bridget Burrows

I don't have much information on them, they are listed on my great grandmothers death notice as her parents, her name was Louisa born c1853, she died in Sydney 1930. She married John Close in 1870 in Hobart. I have searched NSW bdm for any information and Victoria bdm or in the Tasmania Index I am going to have to presume they were not married in Australia. This is like a needle in the haystack, can anyone offer words of wisdom.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Bridget's maiden name,then check convict records for both.Did Louisa have siblings?

alliejaye

i really have no idea

Aussie1947

Hi
    A Tasmanian marriage.

John Close married Louisa Burrows.
    Registration Place: Hobart Tasmania.
    Year: 1870
    Reg No: 266.

Gerry

Aussie1947

A couple of Tasmanian deaths for a Joseph Burrows.

Joseph Burrows.
    Death: 8th July 1891.
    Hobart
    Reg: 485.

Joseph Burrows
    Death: 15th April 1866.
    Hobart.
    Reg: 6203

A possibility for Bridget Burrows.

Have a Bridget Burrows Death in Tasmania 1902
    Reg: 966 Hobart.

Tasmanian PO Directory 1892-93
    Burrows Bridget, farmer, Wattle Green.

Tasmanian PO Directory 1894-95.
    218 Murray St Hobart.
    Burrows Mrs, Bridget.

ditto for 1900.

Gerry
    Last edited by Aussie1947; 14-01-2011 at 3:11 AM. Reason: accidently sent befor completion.

alliejaye

there was another Bridget Burrows in Tassie, I just found a divorce for a Bridget and George Burrows

alliejaye

why wouldnt i beable to find a birth for Louisa ??

spison

Hi alliejay,

You've now started to collect information on the family to build a picture of what they did and where they were. If you keep building, eventually you may find something that will help. With the information from the marriage CD from Gerry (post #4) you can contact Tasmanian Archives and they will send you an image of the request if you don't already have it. For the life of me I couldn't find the exact spot to do this. I will keep hunting but think that this must be where I asked. I know I sent an e-mail to the site from the link below and the e-mailed image (because I had the reference) was free. I don't know if that is still the case but this was only last year. I don't know if Louisa's place of birth will be listed on the record but you may be lucky.

https://www.archives.tas.gov.au/reference/research

Quote Originally Posted by alliejaye View Post
    why wouldnt i beable to find a birth for Louisa ??
    One of my Tasmanian families seemed very hit and miss for registration. The mother's death notice in 1888 said she had had 13 children - only six of them were registered. I'm still hunting for three of them. This may be the case here. If she was born in Tasmania she can't have been registered unless it was under a different given name. Did she have a second name? Have you looked at New Zealand records. It's a remote possibility but is worth looking.

https://www.bdmonline.dia.govt.nz/

Jane

alliejaye

so I have found my Grandfathers name on the Tas Index, Leslie Cerril Close (I'm sure its spelt Ceril on his headstone) but his mothers name is listed as Louisa Munro, and theres only one sister listed along with him, the rest are listed under Louisa Burrows. I'm sure thats just an spelling error, they also have a marriage for John Close and Louisa Munro in 1892 I think.

alliejaye

thanks spison, I searched the nz site, nothing there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast