Marchbank

Default My Brickwall # 1 Ellen KEYTE nee LEWIS

Spelt variously of course.
    Ellen(nee LEWIS)was married (1850)to Henry Keyte, they had 4 children between 1852 & 1857 all born in Hackney.
    My problem is that after 1857 Ellen disappears. The rest of the family I have found in 1861 census.
    Ellen may have died by this time but cannot find her death either.
    She is not living with any of her other family that we can find.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Marchbank
    Ellen(nee LEWIS)was married (1850)to Henry Keyte, they had 4 children between 1852 & 1857 all born in Hackney. My problem is that after 1857 Ellen disappears. The rest of the family I have found in 1861 census.
    Does the 1861 census show Henry as being married, or widowed?

If he was married, have you tried searching the census for his wife just by her initials - E.K, or H.K in case she was in some institution, such as an asylum?

Marchbank

Will try the later,thank you.
    As for the former, it says married and there is an Elizabeth with him, we have considered this as just an error but family lore says he took up with another woman, so until we can track Ellen as dead or elsewhere we have no proof either way.

Thank you for your suggestions I will get onto the other shortly.

Geoffers

If I have the correct entry from 1861 - RG9/248 f67 p7 (reference to census in care of TNA), I see Henry was married, with 4 children. No sign of an Elizabeth, but there is a 27 year old Emily TA(UNT?)ON.

If Henry had taken up with someone, another suggestion is to see if Ellen/Helen can be found using her maiden name?

Lizzy9

Where and when was Ellen born? Do you have a census reference for her and Henry on the 1851 census?

In 1871 Henry is entered on the census sheet as husband of Elizabeth, she's age 32 born St Georges Middlesex.

Lizzy9

For anyone else who is trying to help, I think I have found Ellen and Henry in 1851. HO107 Piece 1703 Folio 41 Page 9 (Crown copyright, in care of TNA)

Marchbank

I have done as suggested and looked for an E K.
    Have found one possibility in Lambeth at an institution.
    Is there ways to find the name that goes with the E K?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Marchbank
    I have done as suggested and looked for an E K.
    Have found one possibility in Lambeth at an institution.
    Is there ways to find the name that goes with the E K?
    It would be a case of looking to see if any records survive in relation to that institution (admision registers?). I believe these would be deposited with the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) whose records are being made available on the pay-per-view site 'ancestry'. I don't use 'ancestry' so have no idea how their records are organised online or if the records you are after are available there - sorry.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of London and/or ancestry may be able to advise better.