Amlet

Default An intriguing Tudor Will .....

I've had this Tudor Will of Robert Globe/Golbe sitting around for some time. If indeed the name is GLOBE then it is the earliest reference to my surname I've hitherto come across. But oh dear, trying to discover who Robert was is another matter. I've tried searching through the online records of All Saints Church, (presumably Allhallows is now All Saints), Maidstone, but as far as I can tell, the church records do not seem to be preserved this far back in time.

I notice the Will is witnessed by two gentlemen and two knights. Robert must have been either someone of means or knew people in high places.

Any suggestions where I might continue searching? Many thanks.
    Richard

ROBERT GOLBE of the parishe of Maydiston [Maidstone], 4 Marche 1513. To be berid within the chirchyerde of Alhallowes in Maydiston withoute the weste dore by my children at the north side of Sr. Thomas Love. To the Steple wt that that is paide redy 6s. 8d. To Sr. Thomas Reme for a tryntall songing at Seynt Jonys Japell (sic) in Stone Street to be begone at Ester next 10s.
    Executors Elizabeth Globe my wyfe and Johanne Dartenall the wiff of Robert Dartenall. Residue to them and if my wife Mary agyne I will suche goods as was myne remayne to the foresaid Elizabeth my wiffe and to her doughter my executors.
    Witness: Sir Robert Warde, Mr. Robt. Dartenall, Sr. Thomas Reame and Edward Wormell.
    Proved 2 January 1514 by executors. [Note he calls himsel Golbe but his wife is written Globe]. (P.C.C. 30 Fetiplace)

Extract of original transcription by L. L. Duncan, copyright Kent Archaeological Society
    Last edited by notanotherminer; 09-01-2011 at 6:30 PM. Reason: Removed Copy and Paste and edited possible Copyright

Geoffers

If the name is GOLBE, there is a 1404 reference to the name here

Where there is one will there may be more. It is worth a search of the PCC wills and also those held in Kent.

Difficult from your present location, but are there any associated Inquisitions Post Mortem? - or possibly Feet of fines - or anything in this research guide on Medieval and early modern sources - perhaps in the Patent Rolls?

Are there any family memorials in the church? Did anyone in the family recieve a grant of arms? Try the - college-of-arms.co.uk - site.

All in all you are best just noting the details and continuing to work back in time from your oldest proven connection to the name; and see where that leads you.

Amlet

Thank you Graham for your suggestions and links to resources for future searches. I've noted the details while continuing to work back from my oldest proven connection.

Now and again, impatient curiosity and the speculation of a quick leap forward, takes the upper hand. Invariably, time and again, it has proven to be a waste of time.

I thought I'd understood that by now. Thank you for reminding me.

Richard

BeeE586

In addition to the early sources suggested by Geoffers are there Manor Court Rolls ? I do have copies of the records for one Derbyshire parish going back to 1501 and a Rental of 1485 so it may be worth enquiring.

For other parishes I have entered the name of the village and its attendant hamlets, names of notable farms and known family names in A2A - National Archives - and found references in unlikely places where I might never have thought of looking. It is surprising what can be found.

Eileen

Amlet

Thank you for your reply Eileen. I've made a note of the resources at the National Archives. I've a number of what appear to be orphan entries particularly from the 17th c which I'm trying to connect by working back through proven connections. They hang there beguiling, so near and yet so far.

Richard