nemisis

Default prescotts regiment, parkers company

hi all, as i have members of my fam who have fallen at bunker hill i require info on the above regimant please
    Last edited by nemisis; 08-06-2005 at 4:25 PM. Reason: non

A fountain of knowledge

You are likely to get more help with an American regiment on some US forum than on a British one. :)

Peggy

Stephen M. Kohler

Default The 7th Continental Regiment

The 7th Continental Regiment was raised April 23, 1775 as a Massachusetts Militia Regiment at Cambridge, Massachusetts under Colonel William Prescott. The regiment joined the Continental Army in June of 1775. The regiment saw action during the Siege of Boston and the New York Campaign. On January 1, 1777 the regiment was disbanded and volunteers from the regiment joined the 2nd Massachusetts Regiment.

According to the American Local History Network and Janice Farnsworth "...the following is the muster-roll of Captain Parker's Company, including only the names of Westford men. They were in Col. William Prescott's Regiment:

Captain Joshua Parker. Date of Enlistment 1775 April 12
    Second Lieutenant, Thomas Rogers April 19
    Sergeant, Solomon Spalding April 19
    Sergeant, Nehemiah Green April 19
    Sergeant, Silas Proctor April 19
    Sergeant, Jonathan Minott April 19
    Corporal, Peter Brown April 19
    Corporal, Obadiah Perry April 20
    Corporal, Levi Temple April 19
    Corporal, Jonas Holden April 19
    Drummer, Isaac Parker April 19
    Fifer, Ephraim Spalding April 19
    Calvin Blanchard April 19
    David Bixby May 1
    Abel Boynton May 5
    William Chandler April 30
    Samuel Craft April 19
    Ephraim Dutton April 19
    Benjamin Esterbrooks April 19
    Levi Fletcher April 19
    Josiah Fletcher April 19
    Joshua Fassett April 19
    Isaac Green April 19
    Ephraim Heald April 19
    Oliver Heald May 17
    (p.112)
    Jonathan Hildreth April 19
    David Keyes May 6
    Samuel Keyes April 19
    Thomas Kidder April 28
    Peter Larkin April 26
    John Parker April 19
    John Pushee April 19
    Nath'l Prentice May 2
    William Read May 18
    Oliver Read April 19
    Stephen Read April 19
    Francis Smith April 19
    Silas Spalding April 19
    Simeon Senter April 26
    Joseph Underwood April 19
    Robbin Skinner April 26
    James Perry April 19
    Jonas Blodgett April 19
    Nath'l Holmes April 19

Perry, Blodgett and Holmes "enlisted into the artillery Company, May 24, 1775." Joseph Minott and Jonathan Hadley, both of Westford, were killed in battle June 17, 1775. Abijah Mason, also of Westford, died in camp July 30, 1775. This return of Captain Parker's Company, in the Tenth Regiment of Foot, commanded by Col. William Prescott, was made Sept. 27, 1775, and without doubt, Minott, Hadley, and Mason were members of it.
    The company of Capt Abijah Wyman, of Ashby, was in Col. William Prescott's regiment in that battle. The return, made Oct 3, 1775, includes the following men from Westford:

Thomas Comings, Second Lieutenant; Daniel Dudley, Corporal; Philip Robbins, Corporal.

Thomas Robbins Caesar Bason
    Oliver Barrett David Cowdry
    Ebenezer Corey Simeon Kemp
    David Fish Thaddeus Read
    Abner Kent Daniel Whitney
    Jeremiah Robbins

In all 14 men. The return states that "Cesor Bason died June 17."

(p.113)
    Mr. Francis Tinker in his sketch of Ashby, in Drake's History of Middlesex County, Vol. I, p. 223, says that Lieutenant Comings and ten men in Captain Wyman's company, were from Westford, but he does not give names.

In regard to Caesar Bason, this anecdote is told on good authority. In the battle he found his powder was nearly gone and putting in his last charge, he exclaimed, "Now Caesar, give 'em one more." He fired and was himself shot, and fell back into the trench. Tradition intimates that Leonard Proctor went to Cambridge on the day before the battle and was on or near the ground. Mr. Tinker states that Jacob Bascom, of Westford, was killed. No such name occurs in our records, and there was probably a mistake in putting Bascom for Bason. Bason was a color- ed man and perhaps the servant of James Burn. There is some uncert- ainty as to his real name. In 1773 "Caesor Burn was paid 4 shillings for four crows killed in this town."

Colonel Prescott, in a letter to John Adams, says: "I commanded my Lt. Col. Robinson and Maj. Woods, each with a detachment, to flank the enemy, who, I have reason to think, behaved with prudence and courage." It is stated that when the British were advancing some of the Provinc- ials fired without orders, so eager were they for the fray. This made Colonel Prescott angry. "His Lt. Col. Robinson ran round the top of the parapet and threw up the muskets." (Colonel Swett's Narrative, p. 34.)

Transcribed by Janice Farnsworth
    Used with permission by Janice Farnsworth"

/R

Stephen
    Washington, DC