Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lizone

Default PARKIN of Stepney

This is one I keep going back to every few months and getting nowhere with - any help gratefully received:

I'm looking for brothers and sister, George (abt 1834 Caldicot, Cambridgeshire), Edwin (Q2 1848 St George in the East) and Eleanor Emily (born Q4 1839 Cambridge) after the 1871 census and the whole family in the 1861 census.

The family is as follows:
    Parents - John Parkin (abt 1809 Meldreth, Cambridgeshire - died Q4 1879 St George in the East) and Louisa Farringdon (abt 1812 Bourn, Cambridgeshire - died Q1 1877 St George in the East), married 29 May 1832 Caldicot, Cambridgeshire
    Other children accounted for:
    Charlotte Louisa (abt 1833 Caldicot, Cambridgeshire, married John Henry Moore 01 Jun 1862 Poplar)
    Henry (Q4 1838 Cambridge, Cambridgeshire - died Q4 1848 St George in the East)

This is what I have so far:
    1841 census: Cambridge: HO107: Piece 85: Book 21 (copyright TNA)
    1851 census: Stepney: HO107, Piece 1552, Folio 204: Page 57 (copyright TNA)

1871 census: Bow: RG10; Piece 577; Folio 61; Page 39 (copyright TNA)
    Edwin and parents but no Eleanor - see below- and no George
    1871 census: Paddington: RG10; Piece 20; Folio 40; Page 29 (copyright TNA)
    possible record for Eleanor

George may have died before 1861 (possibility - Q2 1858 in St George Hanover Square, London, England). Also importantly, Edwin Parkin married Emily Elizabeth French on 29 Jul 1871 in Poplar.

Thanks for reading - Liz

RobinC

There's a George Parker (born 1837, Wisbech Cambridgeshire) living in Hull during the 1861 census. The handwriting on the census form could be read as either "Parker" or Parkin" at a glance so I'm not sure if this could be your George.

This was his family:

George Parker 24 (1837, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, England) Occupation is "Lath Render", I think
    Elizabeth E Parker 25 (1836, Shouldham Thorpe, Norfolk, England)
    George L Parker 2 (1859, Walsoken, Cambridgeshire, England)
    James Parker 4 MO (1860, Hull, Yorkshire, England)

Class: RG9; Piece: 3580; Folio: 58; Page: 1

Census reference courtesy of TNA

RobinC

I've just looked on Google Earth and Wisbech and Walsoken are right next to eachother in Cambridgeshire, I can't seem to find Caldicott though.

I've also found George Parker in 1851 as well so he's not yours, unfortunately.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC
    I've just looked on Google Earth and Wisbech and Walsoken are right next to eachother in Cambridgeshire, I can't seem to find Caldicott though.
    Try Caldecote - see this GENUKI page

It would just be Liz's luck if the family were all in RG9/145 in 1861

lizone

Yes, I did mean Caldecote, south of Peterborough - apologies. I've absorbed too many incorrect spellings along the way and they stuck.

Hopefully not a 1861 missing census, but it has happened before ... not with this lot though.

Liz

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by lizone View Post
    1851 census: Stepney: HO107, Piece 1552, Folio 204: Page 57 (copyright TNA)
    Sadly, there are quite a few streets and parts of streets missing from east London in 1861, particularly in Mile End where your PARKIN family were in 1851.

1871 census: Bow: RG10; Piece 577; Folio 61; Page 39 (copyright TNA)
    The 1871 address, Norman Road, is listed as "being built" in the official 1861 census street index for Poplar.

Hopefully not a 1861 missing census, but it has happened before ... not with this lot though.
    I'm afraid it doesn't look very encouraging so far.

lizone

Perhaps 1861 is looking like a miss then ...

The 'disappearance' of Edwin plus wife and Eleanor post-1871 is still a bit of a mystery to me though - I have also checked for possible migration to the US, Canada or Australia and have not come up with anything useful.

Liz

Mutley

Sorry, I cannot find them in 1861

RobinC

Is it possible they emigrated to Australia as there's this marriage in 1912:

Name: Edwin G T Parkin
    Spouse Name: Emily A Wood
    Marriage Date: 1912
    Marriage Place: New South Wales
    Registration Place: Liverpool, New South Wales
    Registration Year: 1912
    Registration Number: 2176

This could be Edwin's son.

bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=marriages (put www. in front)

You can find the record here but you have to buy the certificate if you want to find out the parents names.

lizone

Thanks Robin

This one's a bit tough! I will follow up your lead.

Liz

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast