Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    john parkin

Smile George 1834

This might fit in with your research. My son dug up this info and sent it to me today. He is trying to research the family tree.

My name is John Patrick Parkin born Lyttelton New Zealand 1947

My father was Eric Patrick Parkin married Kathleen Ward both born in New Zealand

My Grandfather 's name was Eric Victor Parkin. b 1895 d 1919. Married Katherine Bourke

Eric's Dad was Fredrick. b 1868 d 1946 in Christchurch. Married Jane Shewan

His Dad was George. b 1834 in Caldecote, England. d 1891 in Ashburton NZ. Married Elizabeth Kite

His dad was John Parkin. b 1809 in Meldreth, Cambridge. d 1879 London. Married to Lousia Farrington in 1832.

lizone

John

It looks like we may have a match - great! I'm interested in John Parkin's sibling, Thomas, plus all the associated family, who were residing in Bedfordshire in the mid 1800s. Before then, the Parkin family seem to have come from Cambridgeshire on the Essex borders.

Do you know when George left the UK and did any of his siblings come with him or later?

Liz

john parkin

Smile NZ Parkins

My son Jason has tracked down that at least three of John & Louisa's children died in New Zealand. George 24/7/1891 in Ashburton; Eleanor 12/5/1890 in Christchurch and Edwin 24/10/1893 also in Christchurch. They may have been attracted to NZ by the Otago gold rush of the 1860s.

George was busy, he had 13 children (9 boys & 4 girls) who mainly all lived and died in that Otago, Canterbury area. I'll leave Jason to give you further details if you want them as he is still sorting it out. He works at our Council so has free access to this information.

It would be good to get from you the history before John & Thomas.

Abiathar

Glad my Dad also found you. Liz, if you can send me your email address i will email you the geneology chart for the Parkin's that i have. It goes back to John Parkin & lists all his siblings with birth & death dates, locations etc.

I would love to have your info going back further than John.
    Many thanks

Mutley

I always get a little flutter of amazement, deep down somewhere, when this happens on the forum.

Isn't it wonderful when distant families, across oceans, link together, by the power of modern technology.

Good Luck in your research

lizone

Yes Mutley - it's great isn't it ... who would have thought it. Fantastic to be able to post what exactly did happen to the 'missing' (actually adventurous) Parkins. The moral is, I suppose, don't give up on those brickwalls ...

Liz

Abiathar

Smile

Yes it is very exciting

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Liz

Re: John Parkin

My name is Dale Parkes (nee Parkin), and my father Robert Edwin Parkin (87, Levin, New Zealand), asked me to look up his great great grandfather John Parkin.

John was born in 1809, Meldreth, Cambridgeshire and died in 1879, St George in the East. John was married on 29 May 1832, Caldicot, Cambridgeshire to Louisa Farrington.
    Louisa was born in 1812, Bourn, Cambridgeshire and died in 1877, St George in the East.
    John and Louisa had six children: George (who came to New Zealand – George this is my Dad’s great grandfather); Edmond (who died in England); Charlotte Louise (died in England): Eleanor Emily (came to NZ, died in Christchurch unmarried): Elisabeth (came to NZ).

George Parkin, born 1835 in Culldicott, Cambridgeshire, England, married Elizabeth Ann Kite, born 10 April 1842 in Ettington, Warwickshire. They were married on 14 May 1858 in Nelson, New Zealand.
    They had 13 children. Their son Edwin (born 1866, died 1933) was Dad's grandfather.
    Edwin's son Gilbert George (born 19 September 1905, deceased) is Dad's dad (my grandfather). Gilbert was a railway engineer (train driver), based in Taupo and retired in Whanganui.

What is our connection? Do you have any information on the wider family (assuming we are related) that I might be able to pass on to my father?
    Sincerely
    Dale

Abiathar

Hi Dale, its good to hear from you

Jason Parkin here

yes it looks like we are related. Our most recent Parkin ancestor would be George (1835-1891). I descent from his son Fredrick, then Eric Victor, then Eric Patrick and then my Dad John.

I have a photo of your relative Edwin, and also John (1809-1879). if you send me your email address ill happily send you all that I have. We have actually traced the Parkin's back to 1623.

Abiathar

This is John Parkin (1809-1879)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast