Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Brown

sandy

Default Thomas Brown

Hi I hope you can help me I have been send some infromation that Thomas Brown arrived in Van Diemans land Tasmania in 1850. The only thing that i know about him is that he is the son of James Brown born 1798 at Tetsworth in Oxfordshire England. Any information will help Thank you Sandy

Geoffers

Being a name which occurs quite frequently, are you certain that the chap who arrived in Australia is the same who was born 1798, the son of James BROWN?

Did her emigrate voluntarily? - If so did he apply for assistance grantedby parishes under the Poor Law Amendment Act? Such records are held at The National Archives (TNA) in document class MH12.

Was he transported following conviction? See advice in TNA research guide - it has a links to sites which may be of help.

sandy

Hi Geoffers Thomas was transported and arrived in Tasmania in 1850. I have been told that he married and had a family in Tasmania Thank you Sandy
    Last edited by sandy; 07-01-2011 at 3:32 PM. Reason: wrong word

Geoffers

Do put the kettle on and have a browse through the TNA research guide linked above.

You might then try the basic information available via the pay-per-view site 'ancestry' - also try a search of the medical registers on TNA's catalogue -

In the word of phrase field enter "Thomas Brown", or if you know the name of the ship on which he was transported try entering that name followed by, AND brown.

In the year range enter 1849-1851 and in the department or series code enter ADM101.

This is just the catalogue, not the actual document but none-the-less if you browse the extracts for the root file, they give a good idea of the voyage across to Australia.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Sandy there is one such Thomas Brown listed on Ancestrys' Australian Convict Transportation Registers – Other Fleets & Ships, 1791-1868

From the County Assizes of Oxford 1st March 1848. Sentenced for Seven yrs.
    Arriving 23rd March 1850 on the Vessel "Blenheim".
    for Van Diemans Land & Norfolk Island.
    (They do have the arrival & departures in reverse order, which I don't think was possible)
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit
    (They do have the arrival & departures in reverse order, which I don't think was possible)
    Perhaps they sailed backwards?

TNA has the medical journal commencing 12 Mar 1850 (a bit earlier than departure to allow for victualling, transfer of prisoners, etc) with arrival 31 Jul 1850.

spison

Hi Sandy,
    Have you visited Tasmanian Archives? Here is the link. This shows two men who may fit the bill in the convict names section. Follow the links to look at the actual document. Go to name indexes and have a hunt around.

https://www.archives.tas.gov.au/

If you ask, someone may be able to look up anything for births, deaths etc on the Tasmanian CDs. Somewhere there is a place to contact Tas. Archives, who will FREELY (literally) email you the actual record of the registers providing you provide the exact reference. It was still free late last year. It costs money for a hard copy.

Jane
    Last edited by spison; 07-01-2011 at 7:51 PM. Reason: added a bit

Brick wall demolition expert!

Here are links to the Thomas Brown who was transported on the vessel "Blenheim". Departed 10 Apr 1850. Arrived 24 Jul 1850.

Conduct Record

Indent Page 1

Indent Page 2
    Parents and siblings are listed in last column

Convict Description

Chap above was from Tetsworth. Haven't looked at the other Thomas Brown.

sandy

HI Thank you everyone for your help and information. I am now going to see if i can find out who he married and when he died Thank you for your help Sandy

Loves to help with queries

Hello Sandy

From the convict record that Olliecat found for the Thomas Brown on the Blenheim
    https://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...3,268,163,C,80

this man has mother Ann, father's name is a squiggle that could be James, same again for son, as well as Richard and Henry
    Sisters Elizabeth, Ann and....Susan?. And Thomas is 20 yrs old. Does that sound like your family?.

Bess

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast