Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Brown

sandy

Hi Bess That sounds like my family Thank You Sandy

LindaI

Hi. The Tasmanian Archives have an option for viewing convict applications to marry. Your "Blenheim" Thomas Brown applied to marry Ann MoLLOY, a convict woman who was transported on the "Earl Grey", on 30 Apr 1852. My Tasmanian Pioneer Index shows that this couple married on 23 Jun 1852 in Hobart District. He was shown as 21 yo and Ann as 20 yo. This couple had, at least, 7 children. Ann's surname was shown variously as MOLLOY, MALLOY, MAYLOY, MELOY, MALOY but it is pretty certain these are her children and all shown in Hobart district: Unnamed female b. 15 Aug 1852 (This may be the Alice BROWN who died age 16 on 2 Sep 1867); James b. 11 Sep 1854; Unnamed male b. 18 Nov 1856; Wiliam b. 4 Apr 1859; Elizabeth b. 31 Dec 1861 (could not find death but must have been before 1864); Elizabeth b. 9 Jan 1864; and Catherine b. 9 Sep 1866. The only death I could find for a Thomas BROWN who would have been born about 1830/1 was on 8 Jul 1895 at age 65 in Hobart district. Unfortunately, with such a common name it is hard to confirm. Hope some of this helps, Linda

Coromandel

From Jackson's Oxford Journal (JOJ), 26 Feb 1848

On a list of those to be tried at the Lent Assizes in Oxford:
    'Thomas Brown, charged with having embezzled and destroyed several post letters, at Tetsworth, the property of her Majesty's Postmaster-General; and Edward Jones, charged with having counselled the said Thomas Brown to commit the above felony, and afterwards receiving from the said Thomas Brown divers monies, knowing the same to have been stolen.'

Edward Jones came up first and pleaded not guilty. There is quite a long account in JOJ 4 March 1848; among those giving evidence at Edward's trial was Ann Brown, 'mother of Thomas Brown, the other prisoner'.

JOJ 11 March 1848 reports Thomas's trial, but only briefly. We do discover the date of the crime, though: 25, 26 and 28 December.

JOJ has been digitised as part of the 19th Century British Library Newspapers project. If you need advice on where to find this, please just ask.

There's an excellent series of little booklets by Carol Richmond called Banished!, with research on all the convicts Carol could find who had been transported from Oxfordshire courts. Within the books the convicts are arranged alphabetically by surname. You can buy them from the Oxfordshire Family History Society's online bookstall, I believe. I expect OFHS also has a transcript of the Tetsworth parish registers, so you could see if you could find a family matching the details reported in previous posts.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Sandy, the Colonial Tasmanian Family Links site (address below) has the family listed, Thomas Brown born 1831, wife Ann Molloy.
    Hugh.

https://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/me...ype=P&id=40376

Coromandel

A likely-looking family appears in Tetsworth High Street on the 1841 and 1851 censuses:

1841 (HO 107/888/5, f.6; enumerated near the Swan Hotel)
    James Brown, 40, Ag Lab, y
    Ann Do., 35, y
    Eliz(abh?) Do, 11(?), y
    Thos Do, 10, y
    James Do, 8, y
    Albert Do, 3, y
    [NB Adults' names were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 on this census]

1851 (HO 107/1726, f.13)
    James Brown, head, mar., 51, Ag. Labourer ('formerly Horse Keeper' written above), b. Oxon Tetsworth
    Ann, wife, mar, 44, b. Oxon Gt Haisley
    Hennery, son, 12, b. Oxon Tetsworth
    Susan, dau, 10, b. Oxon Tetsworth
    Rhd, son, 6, b. Oxon Tetsworth
    William, son, 4, b. Oxon Tetsworth

[Census Crown copyright, in care of The National Archives]

Ann's stated birthplace is more usually spelled Great Haseley.

The Oxfordshire FHS have indexed pre-1837 marriages in the county. I've just checked the index and see that there's a James Brown marrying Ann Worton on 22 December 1825 at Tetsworth. This looks like it might be your James & Ann.
    Last edited by Coromandel; 21-02-2011 at 1:09 PM. Reason: to add TNA acknowledgement

Coromandel

I have just spoken to Carol Richmond today, and she tells me that there is a photograph of Thomas Brown and his wife Ann (on the occasion of their diamond wedding anniversary) on the cover of the first volume in the series of Banished!, which covers surnames A-B.

sandy

Hi Linda, Coromandel, and Hugh for the information you send me. How do i find out about Ann Molloy where she was born Thank yoy Sandy

LindaI

Hi Sandy,
    You need to go to the Tasmania Archive site (see back at msg from Jane). It takes a bit of patience but, because you have the date Ann Molloy arrived and the vessel she was on, you should be able to gradually work out where in each of the publications her details are written. This will show you, usually, where she was tried and what her crime was plus info on what happened when she arrived in Tasmania, e.g. who was she sent to work for. You may even find that Thomas was at the same location or nearby and that is how they met. You will also be able to find when they were pardoned. The fun is in the detective work and I don't want to spoil that for you. Good Luck. Linda

langa

Sandy,Thomas Brown arrived on the 4july 1850 on the Blenhiem Tried Oxford in 1848 Sentenced for 7 years aged 20 ,being convicted of embezzling and destroying postal letters with money in them.
    Thomas snr Married an Irish convict named Ann Molloy,transported for picking pockets of 3/- she had been a house maid and was a native of Westmeath
    Thomas and Anne married on 23 Jun 1852 —Hobart Town, Tasmania, Australia
    Thomas and Anne had a son also named Thomas he married Eliza Jane Batchelor,They had several children.MABEL 1877
    ALICE MAUD MARY 1879, EMILY JANE, 1881FLORENCE 1883,CAROLINE ANN 1884, ISABEL (Top )1886 ,KATE 1890 and THOMAS LANCE 1893
    Alice Maud Mary married Clement Edwin Rollins,they had 3 chidren Edna,Desmond and Muriel (My Grandmother).
    Most of the adove are burried in the Lower Longley in southern tasmania

langa

Coromandel
    Where can i get a copy of Banished,Thomas and Anne are my Great Great Great grandparents and i would love to see the photo of them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast