Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Logie View Post
    in the 1841 census ages were rounded up/down to the nearest 5 years so, for instance, someone who was 13 may have been recorded as 10 or 15 and someone aged 17 may have been recorded as 15 or 20!!
    Logie
    In fact, the ruling was for "rounding down" only, for those age 15 and above. See
    https://www.
    scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=551&1260.
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 09-01-2011 at 1:25 AM. Reason: removed direct link to commercial site

liz_bern

Hi again Logie, yes I have done the searches, but will keep on searching as you never know one day I might come up with something from somewhere.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Cheers Liz

Logie

Hi Liz!

I spent some more time today looking, unsuccessfully, for your relatives birth/marriage. I did find a couple of Henry Robertsons senior in 1841 - one as a labourer and one as a quarryman - of course he may have changed his occupation but slim pickings I reckon!

Even though Henry Junior joined the army in 1846, I do not understand why we can't find him after 1841 if he was still in the UK. He should have been listed somewhere.

Perhaps you could put a post on the Army Forums for the movement of his regiment post 1846?

Sorry not to have been more helpful but, as you say, don't give up! I have been chasing several brickwalls for many years and sometimes there is a breakthrough!

Logie

liz_bern

Hi again Logie, I have found Henry Macdonald in the 1851 census in Kent at the Canterbury Barracks. He was married in 1859 and his wife and first child were at her parents place in Atherstone in the 1861 census. Cant find Henry though, it appears when you look at where the Scots Greys were in 1861 they were back in Scotland but cant find him in the 1861 census there. He left the army in 1865 after he was tossed off his horse and the horse rolled on him. He was then in Chorlton for the 1871 census with family 3 yrs before coming to NZ. So have plenty of info 1846 to coming to NZ just cant find anything of him before. It would suggest that maybe his birth was not registered anywhere as it wasnt compulsory then, but it is certainly very frustrating for going back any further.

Cheers Liz

Witchy

Hi, there was a few MacDonald's in Crawford Street, Govan. I believe that some of the families were related as most arrived in the area together from the highlands. I have the 1881 census for my family. A lot of information is not displayed because people moved around a lot. The spelling of names was often wrong too, dependent on who was making the records and their education. I wish you luck in your search. Finding the Parish records would be a good place to start. I know the Mitchell Library hold a lot of papers if that is any good to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12