Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nataliew

Default warkworth house, isleworth

I've discovered my great-great grandmother died here in 1933. Found this as she is on the probate calendar, so clearly left a will.
    I've come across conflicting reports as to what Warkworth House was. Aim25 suggests it was an infirmary to the south of the Brentford Union workhouse - www.workhouses suggests it was a pseudonym for the actual workhouse. I was a little surprised to find her in the workhouse as she was married and also had grown-up married children.
    Does anyone have local knowledge that might help? Thanks!

Jan1954

Hello nataliew,

Warkworth House was Brentford Union Workhouse Infirmary, but was best known as West Middlesex Hospital from 1920. However, the name of Warkworth House was used for quite a time afterwards.

Many hospitals grew from the Workhouse Infirmaries. Have a look at the Hospital Database for further details.

Geoffers

The workhouses web-site - users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/ seems to be useful in this respect.

In the search egnine on the site, type in 'Warkworth House'

Select the first link - it is a list of workhouses

Scroll down to Brentford - Warkworth House, Twickenham Road, Isleworth

Click on Brentford

Scroll down to the plan of Brentford Workhouse 1902 and then read the two paragraphs below the plan.

It would seem that part of the workhouse was in 1933, West Middlesex County Hospital.

The Hospital Records Database gives details of surviving records which you may be able to follow up.

Edit - beaten by Jan!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nataliew View Post
    I've come across conflicting reports as to what Warkworth House was. Aim25 suggests it was an infirmary to the south of the Brentford Union workhouse - www.workhouses suggests it was a pseudonym for the actual workhouse. I was a little surprised to find her in the workhouse
    As I read it, Warkworth House served as the Brentford Union Infirmary.

By 1933 the Brentford Union workhouse will anyway have become a Public Assistance Institution, and the infirmary that was previously attached to it would effectively have served as a local hospital. You GGgrandmother will therfore have been admitted because of illness, and was not in a workhouse as such.

For any records that survive, search the Hospital Records Database by entering West Middlesex as the Hospital Name in the top box.

Edit - beaten by Geoffers and Jan!

nataliew

Thanks all
    Seems from the records database that admissions etc don 't survive but at least I'm clearer that she was in hospital!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by nataliew View Post
    Seems from the records database that admissions etc don 't survive
    If I'm reading it correctly, there are no Admission records, but Clinical & Patient records do survive at the LMA for the relevant period.

These are normally closed for 100 years for privacy reasons, and personal researchers can't normally inspect them. But depending on the format, the LMA staff may agree to extract the relevant information on your behalf. They do charge a standard research fee for doing this though.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi all,

I have tried and failed to find out where the records would be kept for Warkworth House.
    My Great - Grandmother, Louisa Maud Winnifred Howes B1891 was admitted in 1915 / 1916 to have my Nan (1916) - unknown Father. I saw in one of the replies about searching hospital records which again I have tried and failed.

I have my Nan's Birth certificate which is great but I need to know more details about my Great Grandmother to help with my research.

I swear the records used to be on line - as I remember seeing my Nan's name entered in to their files no where to be found now

Any help, suggestions would be really helpful

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Louise Jo7,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Louisa Maud Winnifred Howes' birth was registered in Daventry registration district, December quarter 1891. Mother's maiden name Browning.
    https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/daventry.html

Easily found her in the 1911 census.
    Census reference RG14PN7169 SN227.
    Aged 19, domestic servant, born in Weedon Northants, living Finchley, in the household of William Henry Winn.

But drew a blank in 1901 until I searched for other Howes/Browning children.
    1901 census reference RG13/1432 folio 84 page 12
    Living in Weedon.
    John Howes, 52, ordnance store labourer, born Upper Boddington, Northants
    Sophia, wife, 42, Ireland
    Samuel, son, 15, Upper Boddington
    May. daur, 12, Weedon, Northants
    Winnifred, daur, 9, Weedon
    Gertrude, daur, 5, Weedon

1891 census
    census reference RG12/1204 folio 117 page 21
    Living in Weedon Beck
    John Howes, 42, pensioner, Bosddington
    Sophia, wife, 32, Ireland
    William Jno, son, 15, ordnance store labourer, East Indies
    George E, son, 13, scholar, East Indies
    Samuel J, son, 5, Boddington
    May Victoria, daur, 4, Weedon

I nearly came a cropper with the Howes/Browning children I found until I realised that you couldn't have one child's birth registered in September quarter and another in December quarter in the same year, so there at least two, possibly three families where the mother's maiden name is Browning.

The relevant ones for Louisa's family in addition to Louisa are:
    Samuel Joseph, registered December quarter 1885 Banbury registration ditrict
    May Victoria Gwendoline, registered June quarter 1888, Daventry registration district
    Gertrude Constance Adelaide registered September quarter 1895, Daventry registration district

Findmypast (FMP) have a baptism record for William John Howes, said to have been born 28 February 1876, baptised 12 March 1876 in Cawnpore, Bengal. Parents John and Sophia; John a corporal in the 3rd Regiment, The Buffs.
    George Ernest Victor Howes, said to have been born 22 September 1877, baptised 17 October 1877. Parents John and Sophia; John now a sergeant in the 3rd Buffs.
    Both records in the British India Office Births & Baptisms dataset.

John Howes and Sophia Browning married 5 September 1873 at Sitapur. He was 25, she was 15. Both fathers called John. I suspect that John Browning was a military man.
    Image on FMP in the British India Office marriages dataset.

In 1911 Sophia is a widow, aged 53, living in Weedon Beck, and said to have been born in Limerick, Ireland. Head of the house is son William, and also living with them is Samuel.
    Census reference RG14PN8456 SN7

Death registration for John, aged 63, September quarter 1910, Dventry registration district.

In 1911 Gertrude is also living in Finchley. Census reference RG14PN7163 SN69

May is living in Muswell Hill. Census reference RG14PN7241 SN92

Not in the least surprised when I saw that George was living in Aldershot in 1911 to find that he was in the army. Census reference RG14PN3118 SN255
    George married Elizabeth Amelia Roberts twice. Once in September quarter 1903 Woolwich registration district, and then again in March quarter 1904 Farnham registration district. Presumably because he failed to get army permission to get married the first time.

Just checked for a marriage for Louisa, and found a postem m=next to her entry, so you might already have all the stuff I've found.
    If not, go to https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
    search for Louisa M W Howes marrying in 1917, Daventry registration district, and click on the envelope at the side of the entry.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Pam

Wow you researched so much for me.
    Thank you - greatly appreciated.

You've put about finding records in the British India Office Births & Baptisms dataset & British India Office marriages dataset. I put this in google search and it brought up loads of options but not one that was as you have put above.

Can you let me know what the image was of on FMP in the marriage dataset please?

I'm trying to research my Nan's birth father and I have the family now through DNA matches but not which of the Sons it is.

Louisa in 1911/12 had to go back home to have her first Daughter Gwendoline (B Oct 1912) - Father unknown. Louisa's parents brought Gwen up and Louisa was sent back to work as a servant, in Richmond this time. The story was it was for a Lord and Lady but that's all we do know. Louisa fell pregnant with my Nan and gave birth to her in 1916 in Warkworth House, Isleworth, Brentford. (Father unknown)

This is the frustrating part there are no records I can find for Louisa in 1915/16 - not electoral records. Nothing

I questioned the story about being in Richmond but she did add this on my Nan's BC.. Sadly no address.

I also have only had 2 DNA matches to Louisa's side of the family which again is frustrating

Many thanks for all your help

Louise

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise Jo7 View Post
    Hi Pam

Wow you researched so much for me.
    Thank you - greatly appreciated.

You've put about finding records in the British India Office Births & Baptisms dataset & British India Office marriages dataset. I put this in google search and it brought up loads of options but not one that was as you have put above.

Can you let me know what the image was of on FMP in the marriage dataset please?
    I think the only place you're likely to find the British India Office images online is via FMP. Your local library may offer free access to FMP, though what is known as 'the library version' doesn't include all the records you get with a personal sub to FMP. The alternative way to view the images is to go to the British Library in London.

I've given the main details from that marriage record, which is a copy of the marriage register. It's not like a Cof E marriage register.

I'm trying to research my Nan's birth father and I have the family now through DNA matches but not which of the Sons it is.

Louisa in 1911/12 had to go back home to have her first Daughter Gwendoline (B Oct 1912) - Father unknown. Louisa's parents brought Gwen up and Louisa was sent back to work as a servant, in Richmond this time. The story was it was for a Lord and Lady but that's all we do know. Louisa fell pregnant with my Nan and gave birth to her in 1916 in Warkworth House, Isleworth, Brentford. (Father unknown)

This is the frustrating part there are no records I can find for Louisa in 1915/16 - not electoral records. Nothing

I questioned the story about being in Richmond but she did add this on my Nan's BC.. Sadly no address.

I also have only had 2 DNA matches to Louisa's side of the family which again is frustrating

Many thanks for all your help

Louise
    You won't find Louisa on electoral rolls until at least 1921. It wasn't until 1918 that women were given the vote, and then only if they were over 30. Voting for those aged 21 came in in 1928.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast