sue alderton

Default BALLYFARNOGE CASTLE BALLAGHKEEN WEXFORD

Hi

Is there anyone out there in Ballaghkeen who might know the location of the castle at Ballyfarnoge. In my family history notes there is a mention of a Walter Sinnott building the Castle at Ballyfarnoge Ballaghkeen in 1286.I do not know if this is just fictional or the family actually did build a castle at Ballyfarnoge as I cannot find any documented material to support this statement. I do know that the family settled up in this area in the 13th century but were continually at war with the local population losing lands having their castles or fortified residences burnt out retreating south moving back rebuilding etc continually until the 1600s then finally losing all their lands to Cromwellians.

I do realise that there would not be any castle there at present but maybe the ruins of one or that someone might know where the original was located if there was a castle built here at all. Please any help would be invaluable. I am putting this note in the surname section as well, as some Sinnott may have some useful information thanks

Sue nee Synnott

Richard1955

Hi Sue
    Looks like there is still a castle at Ballyfarnoge: www.
    geograph.org.uk/article/Castles-Ireland/4
    S7018 but no pictures. If you 'google' the name you will also find planning applications. Then search it with 'google maps'.
    If your not using google just type www.
    google.com in the address box at the top

Regards
    Richard

sue alderton

Thanks for the help, Merry Xmas,

Sue