Hugh Thompson

Default Gloucester AD 1455

An really interesting book I found at the Internet Archives,(address below), "Rental of all the houses in the borough of Gloucester AD 1455", written in Latin with English translation so it's no trouble reading, it lists the owners and tenants, sometimes going back several generations, also it has an index which makes searching easy.
    Good luck.
    Hugh.

archive.org/details/rentalofallhouse00glouuoft
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 10-12-2010 at 10:21 PM. Reason: link edited to conform with forum policy

janbooth

Fascinating resource, isn't it Hugh. So far I've spent a good few hours trawling through "Gloucestershire Notes & Queries" and "Gloucestershire Inquistiones & Post Mortems ..." and it is amazing the snippets of information I have come up with regarding my Gloucestershire ancestors. I found a list of Pebworth marriages from the late 1500s to 1700 which has proved a mine of information as Pebworth seems to be a blank spot as far as info on the web is concerned. I can see many future hours spent trawling through books relating to other counties wherein my ancestors dwelt!

Janet

Hugh Thompson

Hi Janet, thanks for that, the archives are great fun and can keep me busy for hours and hours, I've been collecting search phrases for it every time I'm there such as,
    Calendar of marriage licenses
    commissariot records (re Scotland)
    parochial history
    Parish Register Society
    Record Society
    monumental inscriptions
    The harleian society
    Parish briefs
    Parochial Accounts
    Borough records
    Marriage allegations
    And hundreds more, you can search forever.( I love it!!.)
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Dude, it's amazing just what books you can find in the Internet Archives, I've lately been reading 19th century books about the Dumfries region of Scotland and have found quite a few mentions of my family lines from around there, I can see how they would have become related.
    Good luck.
    Hugh.