Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    madgarry

Default Frank(Francis) Edwin Morris Help needed

Guys ive just come accross a relative who appears to have died in HMP Camphill Isle of Wight in 1941,ime in touch with his great grandson my 2nd cousin but they have no idea what he was sent to jail for so ime needing help to find out what he did and where he was sentenced ect.

Frank Edwin Morris (aka Francis) born about 1879 in Crabbs Cross Redditch, he married Sarah Jane Coley (my great aunt) in 1900 at Rushock Worcestershire they had 13 children and as far as I know he was listed as a Farmer by occupation.Their last child was born at Belbroughton Worcs in 1926 and that is the last location we have for the family until his death in prison in 1941.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Garry

madgarry

Bump

Jan1954

Hello Garry,

The National Archives at Kew have Prison registers and calendars of prisoners from 1770-1951. This guide may be a starting point.

madgarry

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Hello Garry,

The National Archives at Kew have Prison registers and calendars of prisoners from 1770-1951. This guide may be a starting point.
    Had a look there but couldnt get anything up

madgarry

Bump

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I'm afraid I've had no success with this since you first posted, despite two bumps.

Camp Hill (together with Parkhurst) seems to be part of HMP Isle of Wight. Perhaps the Prison Service has retained the records?

I'd be surprised if there is public access to such relatively recent registers -- but someone else may know more.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by madgarry
    Guys ive just come accross a relative who appears to have died in HMP Camphill Isle of Wight in 1941
    Was he a prisoner.............or a prison officer?

Does the death certificate provide any clues?

Did your chap get a divorce? I see that TNA's catalogue has a divorce for a Francis Albert Edwin MORRIS. If this is the same man, is there anything that can be found in connection with this?

madgarry

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Was he a prisoner.............or a prison officer?

Does the death certificate provide any clues?

Did your chap get a divorce? I see that TNA's catalogue has a divorce for a Francis Albert Edwin MORRIS. If this is the same man, is there anything that can be found in connection with this?
    He was a prisoner,as for a divorce we have no idea

Geoffers

Okedoke, does the death certificate give anything else which may be of use? Is there recorded anything to the effect that he was on remand (as opposed to having being convicted), is there a prisoner number which you may use to try and locate more information?

The most you are likely to get online is a reference to a file at Kew - the catalogue includes some entries which are only indexed by surname; you might try a search to cover this. You would need to visit TNA at Kew to use the calendars of prisoners from this period.

I think that the only chance of finding anything online might be via a newspaper report.

madgarry

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Okedoke, does the death certificate give anything else which may be of use? Is there recorded anything to the effect that he was on remand (as opposed to having being convicted), is there a prisoner number which you may use to try and locate more information?

The most you are likely to get online is a reference to a file at Kew - the catalogue includes some entries which are only indexed by surname; you might try a search to cover this. You would need to visit TNA at Kew to use the calendars of prisoners from this period.

I think that the only chance of finding anything online might be via a newspaper report.
    Nothing on his death cert bar what ive allready posted,name,address,cause of death.As were not sure where he comitted his crime I dont know what news papers to contact for back records

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast