Iain

Default How can you find divorce records?

I have been trying to find my wife's family under the name of Wood.

I have a 1911 census for her G Grandfather Charles in Rugeley Staffs.

I am awa re that his father Thomas was "married" twice. In this census his wife is down as Margaret however in the 1891 census he is with a lady called Mary.

I can find a marriage refernce for Thomas and Mary in 1877, but I am struggling to find a marriage for Thomas and Margaret.

Did he divorce his first wife?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Jan1954

Hello Iain,

You may find this TNA Research Guide to be helpful in finding divorce records.

However, there are a couple of other things that you may wish to consider:

1) Have you accessed the 1911 census record? It should indicate how long Thomas and Margaret have been married, which in turn may help you locate a marriage record.
    2) Could Margaret and Mary be the same person? Did Margaret have the middle name of Mary, for instance?
    3) You have Mary in 1891, but Margaret in 1911. Who was Thomas with in 1901?
    4) Have you searched for a death record for Mary?
    5) You may wish to consider that a "poor man's divorce" (aka bigamy) took place.

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

Freebmd marriages has the following people indexed for June Q 1894 (Vol. 6b, Page 660), Lichfield Registration District, which covers Rugeley.

Eliza Jane BAUGH
    George Albert HAWKES
    Margaret MAGAN
    Thomas WOOD

Knowledgeable and helpful Jellylegs's Avatar

From the 1891 census (RG12/2216/29/18) Thomas and Mary A (born 1858) have three daughters and a brother-in-law living with them - Henry HITCHINS.

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

I assume the 1877 marriage you mention was Thomas WOOD and mary Ann HITCHENS.

There is a death on Freebmd of a Mary Ann WOOD, in the Dec Q 1892, Lichfield R.D. Vol. 6b, Page 266. Her age is given as 35 (so born 1857/8), which ties in with the Mary A WOOD with Thomas in 1891.

Looks as though he wasn't divorced, but married after his first wife died. Obviously, you should buy certificates to confirm this.

RonOne

Quote Originally Posted by Jellylegs View Post
    Freebmd marriages has the following people indexed for June Q 1894 (Vol. 6b, Page 660), Lichfield Registration District, which covers Rugeley.

Eliza Jane BAUGH
    George Albert HAWKES
    Margaret MAGAN
    Thomas WOOD
    Just to confirm this marriage - StaffordshireBMD has 1894:
    Thomas Wood & Margaret Magan - Civil Marriage (Lichfield)
    Registers at: Lichfield
    Reference: ROL/10/60

Loves to help with queries

Elizabeth & Rose two of the daughters are together as servants at RG13/2659/24 pg 39 (Crown copyright TNA)

Iain

Dear All,

Thank you all for guidance. I id find the details of Mary Woods death and I am pleased that my suspicions were confirmed by you all. What threw me was the fact that I was unable to link the marriage of Margaret via Thomas. For some reason his second marriage is not recorded via him when you search.
    Again thank you all for your help. It's nice to know that I am doing things right, even if I don't have the confidence of my convictions !!!