BMcAleer

Default William Bowkett or Bowcott, occupation cooper

Are there any suggestions on finding more information about coopers? There was more than one person named William Bowkett in the early 19th century with a wife named Elizabeth. I am seeking information about my 4th great grandfather William Bowkett, who was listed as a cooper in the baptism of at least 6 children. A probable marriage took place 14 June 1796, at St. Giles Church, Southwark, Camberwell, to Elizabeth Wilkins.

Address at the baptism of 2 children: 1803-1805, Jacob St., Bermondsey, Parish St. Mary Magdalene.

Address at the baptism of 2 children: 1806-1814, Dock Head way, parish St. John Horsleydown.

Address from Burial record, William Bowcott, 5 June 1837: Russell Street, Saint John Horsleydown, Southwark Surrey, England, age 66 years.

1841 Census, Elizabeth Bowcott, 70. Laundress, Finamores Place, St John Horselydown, Southwark Surrey, Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1087; Book: 5; Civil Parish: St John Horsleydown; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 14; Page: 21; Line: 24; GSU roll: 474669., Watkins WIlliam 25 Surgical Institution [born in county-Y], Elizabeth Bowcott, 70. Laundress [born in county-Y], Jane Spindler 48 [born in county-Y], Eliza Spindler 19 [born in county-Y], [previous page says Russell St.], Folio 12: Russell St. John Wilkins victualler 35 [born in county-Y], Sarah do 30 [born in county-Y].

Elizabeth Bowcott died 28 January 1843, 10 Finamores Place, widow of William Bowcott, a carpenter.

The location of Elizabeth Bowcott in the 1841 census at Finamores Place matches her address in the burial record and Russell Street (address on husbands death record) is on the previous page of the census. There are Watkins and Wilkins on the census, and these are family names. The records seem to fit well for this family. Are there any other available records that I may look at? All suggestions would be appreciated.

BMcAleer

Smile William Bowkett Cooper

I found a record I've been looking for! London, England, Freedom of the City Admission papers, 1 December 1789. William Bowkett as a young lad, indentured himself to a cooper for 7 years. No fornication rolling dice or card playing for 7 years while he faithfully served his master and learned the trade. After he completed the 7 year contract, he was free to marry. Beautiful document!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Beautiful find that, tells you he was 18 at the time of indenture, lived a pure life for 7 yrs & was married right on the dot of 7 yrs later. Well found.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

BMcAleer

Thank you, Waitabit, I was wondering about his age. More work to do, I found the baptism of a younger William Bowkett son of William in the correct parish. The investigation continues.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Could this be the baptism of your William, the cooper?

London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
    Christ church Surrey.
    May 5th William, son of William Bowkett excise man of Ann his wife-born April 1776? image 25
    Thos Ackland Curate page 216.
    page edges burned, year indecipherable apart from page239 which has baptees born 1778/79.

{page 213=Thos Ackland Curate, baptised in this year '91'....page 221 has Thos Ackland Curate, baptised in this year '114' these at page bottom for Decembers..}
    How do these year numbers eventuate? Is it the anniversary of that church perhaps?

I've looked through my discs & found baptisms as on F'Search & Ancestry, Baptisms not early enough for William-the cooper.

Burial William Bowkett 18 Feb 1801 2yrs St.Mary Mag.born1798
    Elizabeth Mary Bowkett 20 mar 1802 20mths-St.Mary Mag. born 1800

A William Bowkett buried MAr 28th ChristChurch Southwark.1776 also Feb 1st 1779
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

BMcAleer

Yes, I saw that baptism, and I think it is probably my ancestor, William Bowkett the cooper. He would be younger, born about 1776. His father William was deceased before the indenture. There is not enough information on the burials to know which one is Williams Father.
    The same couple had a daughter Ann born 1771, the year is visible on that record.
    The Bowketts born at St. Mary Magdalene are my family, the next generation.

Thanks you for your interest.