Thread: James Dickson

Default James Dickson

Information sought about the family of James Dickson whose gravestone at Napier, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand reads ' of Barharrow, Gatehouse, Scotland, beloved husband of Nurse E. L. Dickson, who died 16th June 1916 aged 69 years.' I am sure my identification of this as Barharrow, Gatehouse of Fleet is correct.
    Eliza Luke Dickson, nee Williams, was my mother's aunt. She was in London in 1881. I don't know when she emigrated, or where they met, but they were married in New Zealand in 1888. It is possible that he had a brother or other relation who was a sheep farmer in the Hawkes Bay area.
    Thanks for any information, FredP.

Sadly Passed away - Rest in Peace Nicolina's Avatar

firstly let me thank you. DICKSON is one of my main maternal lines and whilst looking for your James, I found a missing member of my paternal side.
    The 1881 Census ( RG11/79/120 Page 15) has a James DICKSON born Aberdeenshire about 1849 who was a Groom at Chelsea Barracks (London)
    Could this be him?

Thanks Nicolina, but I don't think this can be him as he was definitely born at Barharrow near Gateway of Fleet. I have found someone with the right name and age in London in 1861 and possibly in 1871, but it just says born Scotland!
    FredP.