Thread: James Dickson

FredP

Default James Dickson

Information sought about the family of James Dickson whose gravestone at Napier, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand reads ' of Barharrow, Gatehouse, Scotland, beloved husband of Nurse E. L. Dickson, who died 16th June 1916 aged 69 years.' I am sure my identification of this as Barharrow, Gatehouse of Fleet is correct.
    Eliza Luke Dickson, nee Williams, was my mother's aunt. She was in London in 1881. I don't know when she emigrated, or where they met, but they were married in New Zealand in 1888. It is possible that he had a brother or other relation who was a sheep farmer in the Hawkes Bay area.
    Thanks for any information, FredP.

Nicolina

firstly let me thank you. DICKSON is one of my main maternal lines and whilst looking for your James, I found a missing member of my paternal side.
    The 1881 Census ( RG11/79/120 Page 15) has a James DICKSON born Aberdeenshire about 1849 who was a Groom at Chelsea Barracks (London)
    Could this be him?

FredP

Thanks Nicolina, but I don't think this can be him as he was definitely born at Barharrow near Gateway of Fleet. I have found someone with the right name and age in London in 1861 and possibly in 1871, but it just says born Scotland!
    FredP.