Ardchattan

Default Auchindrain People !

Dear Fellow Genealogists and local historians,

I am honoured to have been asked to be part in an exciting new project involving Auchindrain Museum, in Argyll, Scotland.
    They are moving into a new phase of development for the Museum, and some of this involves stepping back and looking for the missing information to tell more of the story of the township.
    For those who do not know Auchindrain, it is the most complete 1800's township which never underwent crofting "improvements" in the West Coast of Scotland. So it is a remarkable and unique location to understand how people lived for the previous centuries in the area.
    The buildings have been preserved and, thanks to many peoples hard work in the past, the museum is now Recognised National Collection. Until now there has not been the opportunity to look deeper into the history and the people who lived there, to build an even better future.
    With the boundless energy of Auchindrain's new Museum Development Officer, Bob Clark, there is finally a significant plan in place to find out a lot more about the history of this wonderful place. I am but a small cog in a wonderful team of illustrious people who will be working on all sorts of aspects of the township.
    The people will bring colour, life, and richness to the other work - and I am delighted to be able to finally get stuck in to finding as many of them as possible, and as much about each as I can.
    Obviously the normal records are easily available, and will be the basis of my work for the next months. But from my past experience, I know this is just the bare bones of a One Place Skeleton, and that the most interesting information about the people of any place can come from the most unlikely sources.
    So I am declaring Auchindrain as a One Place Study, and asking for any help that anyone can give us.
    If you have anything - receipts, images, letters, BMD waifs, census strays, family connections, letters, records of any kind - please get in touch, if you have anything that mentions Auchindrain, Auchindryan, Thornfield, of the parish of Cumlodden, Glenaray and Inveraray.
    We will not mind if we get more than one copy, nor if the reference is but superficial or glancing, please assume we do not have it, however obvious.
    Acknowledgements will be made for all contributions, however small or seemlingly trivial. EVERYTHING is of value to this project, and will be treasured.
    and thank you in advance.

CanadianCousin

I'm sorry to say that I have no known connections to Auchindrain (or to Scotland, for that matter), but this sounds like an exciting and worthwhile project. I have to think that activities such as this are ultimately valuable to all of us with an interest in family and local history. Thanks to you and to everyone who volunteers their time to preserve our collective heritage and the best of luck with your appeal.

Tim