Mike Fry

Default WinREG/3 - New Version Released

For anyone who is interested, I have, today, made version 3.1.4 available for use. You can get the updated software by using the 'Check for Updates' option under the Help menu.

The following is just some of the things that have been changed and/or corrected.

Version 3.1.4
    -------------
    Many little, irritating things have been fixed, including, but not limited to:-

a) AutoCompletion - should now work as advertised. Inconsistencies in the way that the AutoCompletion fields were handled have been fixed. Switching the option on and off should now be more immediate.

b) New record - filled in with some default data taken from the previous record Register number, Fiche Image and Dates. This, auto-copy facility for Dates has been made optional. See the Data Entry tab in Settings

c) User Interface - some small usability improvements have been made

d) Dates - better and more robust validation and sorting

e) Notes field will now wrap onto multiple lines if needed. If the notes occupies more space than is currently available in the width of the column, then a second and subsequent lines will be used.

f) Problems have been reported with some files that appear, at first sight, to be badly formatted. These files contain some records that omit any trailing commas to indicate missing fields. The program will refuse to load these files, giving only an ambiguous message of: "Index was outside the bounds of the array". The program
    will now 'add' the missing fields, enabling the file to be loaded and editing to be carried out.

g) The ability to duplicate a record by double-clicking the row header, has been added. The duplicated record is added at the end of the table.

melanieandersen

Thank you for the new update to the programme.

I have noticed something though and it is, when I try to type in the names McClellan or McDonald the programme only allows me to use lower case i.e. Mcclellan or Mcdonald.

Any suggestions or is it not really important?

Thanks and regards
    Melanie Andersen
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by melanieandersen View Post

I have noticed something though and it is, when I try to type in the names McClellan or McDonald the programme only allows me to use lower case i.e. Mcclellan or Mcdonald.

Any suggestions or is it not really important?
    That has been a long-standing requirement of the FreeREG website. In the "Information for Transcribers" see (https://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/enterdata.htm), it states (as an example)

Father's surname
    Please use all upper case letters.
    Enter the spelling exactly the same as it appears in the register.
    A widow's surname would be entered in this field.
    Do NOT include any qualifiers to the name in this field, such as Snr, Jr, or Esq place these in the notes field.

The program is simply following, and always has done, this command.

Regards,
    Mike Fry
    Johannesburg

melanieandersen

Thanks for replying Mike - I should have made myself clearer as it was not a Surname issue but a Christian name I was asking about. The child's second name is her mother's maiden name.
    I shall simply leave it alone I think.
    Regards
    Melanie Andersen

Mike Fry

Quote Originally Posted by melanieandersen View Post
    Thanks for replying Mike - I should have made myself clearer as it was not a Surname issue but a Christian name I was asking about. The child's second name is her mother's maiden name.
    I shall simply leave it alone I think.
    Ah! Subtle difference! Again, the "Information for Transcribers" probably holds the (historical?) answer.

Provided that data is entered and stored consistently, and (more importantly) can be found, there should be no problems.

Regards,
    Mike Fry
    Johannesburg