Nicolina

1881 Census (RG11/686/111 Page 43) for 25, Tappersfd Rd, Camberwell has:
    Sarah (widow) aged 52, a Laundress born Walworth, Surrey
    Jos H. aged 18, a Labourer born Nunhead, Surrey
    Arth J. aged 13 born Nunhead, Surrey
    Geo W. aged 10 born Nunhead S. E., Surrey
    Ed J PERRIDGE aged 18, a House Decorator born St Pancras

Brick wall demolition expert!

There is a christening for a Joseph Henry Rolph on 30 Nov 1862 at Peckham St Mary Magdalene. Parents Sarah and Joseph. Father's occupation was tailor. Is this your Joseph?

According to a tree on Ancestry, Joseph Henry Rolph born abt 1862 in Peckham, son of Joseph Rolph and Sarah ended up in Australia. Apparently, he married a Catherine Agnes Hayles in 1892 in Adelaide, South Australia. He married again in 1925 and died in 1935.

You may wish to contact the tree owner to seek further information and confirm if it is your Joseph.

ruala

ok one final go if joseph rolphas states on the 1871 cens that he is 34 yrs old then i need a 1841 cens for a joseph rolph the father and joseph rolph the son aged abt 1836/7. he died in 1879 at the age of 46 then he should have been born at abt 18832/33 so i need a 1831 cens still looking in the herts area barnet or london . in 1860 living at peckham rye .

Name well known on Brit-Gen

ruala had an earlier thread on Joseph ROLPH.

I have combined the two threads here, to keep all the information together and avoid duplication.

Quote Originally Posted by ruala View Post
    ok one final go if joseph rolphas states on the 1871 cens that he is 34 yrs old then i need a 1841 cens for a joseph rolph the father and joseph rolph the son aged abt 1836/7. he died in 1879 at the age of 46 then he should have been born at abt 18832/33 so i need a 1831 cens still looking in the herts area barnet or london . in 1860 living at peckham rye .
    One possiblilty is that Joseph Rolph may be in the workhouse in 1841

1841: HO107 Piece: 445 Book/Folio: 4/18 Page: 3 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    In the Union Workhouse, Hitchin, Hertfordshire
    Charles Rolfe 7
    Joseph Rolfe 5
    John Rolfe 5
    All born in the county

The only other Joseph Rolph I can see in 1841 in Hertfordshire was born abt 1832 and he is with Martha (mum and siblings?) Only there is a christening for a Joseph Rolfe in 1830 at Monk Hadley (Barnet) with mother Martha but the father is called Robert.

The problem at the moment is pinning either of them down in the 1851 and/or 1861 census. Will take another look.

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    The only other Joseph Rolph I can see in 1841 in Hertfordshire was born abt 1832 and he is with Martha (mum and siblings?) Only there is a christening for a Joseph Rolfe in 1830 at Monk Hadley (Barnet) with mother Martha but the father is called Robert.
    I think this is the family detailed in post #6 above.

1841: HO107 Piece: 445 Book/Folio: 4/18 Page: 3 (crown copyright, care of the TNA)
    In the Union Workhouse, Hitchin, Hertfordshire
    Charles Rolfe 7
    Joseph Rolfe 5
    John Rolfe 5
    All born in the county
    These may be the sons of Charles ROLFE and Mary, baptised Chipping Barnet (FamilySearch), though I can't see a baptism entry for John.

There's a possible candidate for Charles ROLFE junior (enumerated ROLPH) found as an apprentice bootmaker in Bedford in 1851.
    HO107/1751 folio 690 page 34 (reference to record held by TNA)

He is said to be born Kimpton Herts. This is probably the same Charles as is in the Hitchin workhouse in 1841, as Kimpton was part of the Hitchin poor law union. However, an Ancestry member has submitted an addition of Barnet as the birthplace for this Charles ROLFE, though it does not appear in the 1851 census return.

The Hertfordshire Family & Population History Society records the burial of a Charles ROLPH at Chipping Barnet on 20 Sep 1837, aged 35. If that is the father of these children in the Hitchin workhouse, that might explain why they are in there.

This could be the right family, as Barnet does crop up as a birthplace in a later census for Joseph ROLPH. It is always possible that Joseph ROLPH "invented" a fictitious father for the purposes of the marriage register. If he was very young when his father died, he may not have known his father's name.

Yes Kerrywood, I've seen the trees that state Charles Rolph and Mary Ann Mitchell as the father of Charles Rolph who was in the workhouse in 1841. They could be well his parents, but so far I haven't come across any tree that has the marriage details for Charles and Kerenhappuch Warren (what a name to search for ), which would give the father's name.

The same tree has brother Joseph dying in 1858. Further investigation may be warranted.

Also, as far as I could see, the family in post #6, where the mum was Martha, had not been investigated further.

Yes Kerrywood, I've seen the trees that state Charles and Mary as the father of Charles Rolph who was in the workhouse in 1841.
    I haven't been looking at trees.

Where are they please?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    I haven't been looking at trees.
    Where are they please?
    Here's one ...

https://
    trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/13864811/person/499907878

Now where is that darned marriage. There is a comment saying Charles Rolph/Rolfe married 1856 in St Giles London. The comment is on the wife Keren???ch (not typing that again) Warren's page.

Thanks for that.

There is a comment saying Charles Rolph/Rolfe married 1856 in St Giles London
    There is a Charles Thomas ROLFE marriage in St Giles registration district in the December quarter, but no matching WARREN entry. The member who left the comment quotes only the quarter (December) and the district, with no date or church, so I'd be inclined to let that one pass for the moment.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast