Thread: All at sea

jacky160

Question All at sea

I would be grateful if someone can tell me what L M stands for in the Naval medal and award rolls on Ancestry. Thanks for any help.

Jacky160

Bertie

It means Landsman - this referred to people with no previous sea-going experience

jacky160

Question All at sea reply

Thanks for your help . The man I am looking for gave his occupation as Mariner on his first marriage in 1765 and as Master in the Royal Navy on his second marriage in 1795 - so LM as a landsman does not make sense in 1794.

I have found in the medal rolls (on Ancestry) for HMS Audacious around the time of the Battle of the Nile awards for Andrew Tracy as both AB (Able Bodied Seaman) and LM. Both he and his son Andrew were at sea so it is possible that these awards refer to his son (who also ended up as a Master Mariner according to his will).

So further clarification of LM may enable me to stay at home rather than travel 200 miles to Kew and back.

Jacky160

Geoffers

If this reference and also this one on TNA's catalogue is to your chap, could the figure 2 have been mistaken for the letter L?

PS - I hope this saves you a journey

jacky160

Many many thanks Geoffers. I will look again to see if, I have mistaken the figure 2 for the letter L . I am sure the reference you have given me will be a big help.

jacky160

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jacky160
    I will look again to see if, I have mistaken the figure 2 for the letter L .
    If you haven't mistaken a 2 for L, perhaps the person writing the original list did so?

jacky160

No, I have checked and the entry occurs too often for this to be anything other than "LM". I now think this refers to his son who would have been about 19 at the time and "Landsman" would probably be appropriate particularly as another entry places him on the same vessel as "AB".

How did you find the Nat Archive references as every time I enter the name I only find other references that are not of any valid use? Equally, if I type in the references that you have found, NA goes very coy and fails to locate the information.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by jacky160
    How did you find the Nat Archive references as every time I enter the name I only find other references that are not of any valid use? Equally, if I type in the references that you have found, NA goes very coy and fails to locate the information.
    Start with TNA's catalogue

You can try a few things.
    In the word or prhase field enter - trac*y (include the asterisk as this will also bring up tracey)
    restrict the year range to what ever may seem a reasonable period - say 1765-1805
    In the department or series code enter - ADM

Now search, you'll get 19 hits.

You gave a forename too, so the search can be refined.

Try repeating the search but in the word or phrase field enter - andrew trac*y
    You'll now get three hits

ADM 106/1203/2 Lieutenant Thomas Rayment, the Friendship Cutter, Dartmouth. Has discharged Edward Haddick, 2nd Master, on the 26th December and entered Charles, Andrew Tracey, Master of a merchantman in his place as 2nd Master and Pilot and asks for approval1771 Jan 1

ADM 106/1204/23 Admiral Spry, the Trident, Hamoaze. Lieutenant Rayment informs me there is no 2nd Master and Pilot appointed to the Friendship cutter under his command. Andrew Tracy, who boarded her last month as Pilot is willing to act as 2nd Master and Pilot and intends passing for that purpose at the first opportunity.1771 Jan 13

ADM 29/1/26 Original page number: 26 Andrew TRACEY; Rank: Master; Born: [Not Given]; Age on entry: [Not Given]; Approximate dates served: 6 May 1780-10 September 1795 William WATT; Rank: Master; Born: [Not Given]; Age on entry: [Not Given]; Dates served: 15 August 1903-25 June 1808 Thomas SMITH; Rank: Master; Born: [Not Given]; Age on entry: [Not Given]; Dates served: 7 May 1783-31 August 18041802-1814

You can search just on the codes given - just to the left of 'the catalogue' you'll see a small search field bearing the words 'type reference here'.

Enter ADM106/1203/2 - just like that, no gaps - you'll go straight to the entgry you need.

Geoffers

Further to my last, perhaps this will - Andrew TRACEY 22 Feb 1830 Retired Shipmaster of Plymouth Devon is of interest?

Maybe Andrew was a name handed down through generations in the Tracey family? see Andrew TRACEY of HMS Princess Louisa dated 14 May 1741

Perhaps someone had aspirations - Andrew TRACEY gentleman of Plymouth - dated 1826

There are other PCC wills which may be connected and also quite a few TRAC*Y RN wills

Searching The Catalogue may brng up other TRAC*Y entries of interest.

Default Andrew Tracey Records

Quote Originally Posted by jacky160 View Post
    No, I have checked and the entry occurs too often for this to be anything other than "LM". I now think this refers to his son who would have been about 19 at the time and "Landsman" would probably be appropriate particularly as another entry places him on the same vessel as "AB".

Hi Jacky, not sure if you are still on this forum but I have some items and a record relating to Andrew Tracey and wondered if you would be interested in seeing them? Best regards Jason (jasonclarke1975 at aol dot com)
    Last edited by Ladkyis; 26-06-2018 at 10:21 AM. Reason: edited live email address to prevent spamming