Richard Miller

Smile John Garrett National School Master St. Neots

Hi Folks

I am trying to find out a little more about John Garrett age 35 born in Clerkenwell Middlesex (with the occupation of Master of National School) who was living at High Street, St. Neots in Huntingdonshire with his wife Elizabeth age 40 who was born in Barnsley Yorkshire, according to the 1861 Census.

I am unsure if the National School was in St. Neots.

I am also having difficulty in locating a marriage for John Garrett and his wife Elizabeth. John Garrett's parents were Charles Garrett and Mary Anne Cheffins.

Any help to clarify matters would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Richard, if your John Garrett (christened 1 Jan 1826 St.James, Islington was a student in 1851 at a Student training institute , Islington, M'sex:

HO107; Piece: 1501; Folio: 416; Page: 19 (crown copywrite TNA) & then in 1861 a certified School Master,:High St.
    St Neots Huntingdonshire

RG9; Piece: 981; Folio: 52; Page: 11 (crown copywrite TNA)

This marriage may fit.
    Marriages Jun 1856
    GARRETT John N. Witchford 3b 906
    NOBEL Elizabeth NWitchford 3b 906
    NOBLE Elizabeth NWitchford 3b 906 or a trip through FreeBMD for likelies.

A Google may find info on the schools of the time or contact at St.Neots Library or Huntingdon Family History Society.
    www.
    huntsfhs.org.uk/
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

georgiep

Hi Richard
    They were together in later census with no kiddies.

Just to say that John who was the son of Charles & Mary Ann Garrett is only 7yrs old in 1851.
    something does not add up here.

ozn

Richard Miller

Hi Whitebait and georgiep

Thanks for your replies I rather favour Elizabeth Noble as the wife of John Garrett being the most local to St. Neots, but there are others such as Elizaberth Crowe who married a John Garrett in Samford, Suffolk in 1852. John son of Charles Garrett and Mary Anne Cheffins was in fact born on 29 Oct 1825 that would make him 16 at the time of the 1851 Census and 26 at the time of the 1851 Census.
    Regards
    Richard

georgiep

Hi 1871 John 45 & Elizabeth 50 bn Barnsley, on their own as stated previously.

georgiep

georgiep

Ditto in 1861

georgiep