Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ChattieKathy

Default Researching HALLETT

My gg-grandmother was Mary Ann HALLETT daugher of Henry HALLETT who was a baker. Mary Ann was born abt 1815 in Chiselburough (accornding to census records). She was married at Yeovil 16 April 1837 to John WARD (blacksmith). They resided at Taunton, Bristol (at the time in Somerset), and later in London. Henry HALLETT was deceased by the time Mary Ann was married in 1837. I haven't been able to find another trace of the HALLETTS.

Any suggestions? (Chiselburough did not have her baptism recorded)

Kathy

janbooth

Hi Kathy,

Some thoughts on your quandary. Have you seen the actual parish register entry of Mary Ann's marriage and if so does it give any helpful witnesses, i.e. likely relations of Mary Ann.

Secondly, there are some baptisms of children to a Henry & Elizabeth HALLETT in Ilchester (not a million miles away from Chiselborough) on Family Search Pilot from 1803 onwards. There is an Elizabeth HALLETT in the 1841 census of Ilchester who is shown as a Widow, Pauper living with son Isatt - so this Henry is presumably dead at least by 1841 so perhaps this couple is worth further investigation on your part, although there does not appear to be any connection with Chiselborough.

As your Henry was a Baker, perhaps he left a will - have you searched for one at all?

The other thing that occurs to me is that if you have not been able to find a trace of Henry HALLETT at all, could he be fictitious and could your Mary Ann have been illegitimate? There are 4 families of HALLETTs born c1780/90 living at Chiselborough in the 1841 census, could Mary Ann have been the illegitimate daughter of one of their daughters or perhaps been born to one of the wives before they married one of the HALLETTs. Have you looked through the parish registers of Chiselborough for any HALLETT marriages after 1816 to see if this might have happened.

Not sure this helps much at all, but may perhaps suggest other avenues to explore.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

Mary Ann was married in 1837
    I think that needs to be checked. The GRO index suggests 1838.

(Chiselburough did not have her baptism recorded)
    Not too sure what you mean there but you also need to check burials and marriages. There are lots of HALLETTs in Chiselborough and may find you need to draw up a family tree of all of them in order to make sense of the situation.

Don't forget that HALLETT was not necessarily her birth name.

ChattieKathy

Thank you for your quick replies! I have the marriage certificate for John WARD and Mary Ann HALLETT. It is dated 16 May 1837. Their ages are given as "of full age". This is where the info for her father came from. They were married at the Parish Church of Yeovil. Also, I emailed the Online Parish Clerk of Chiselburough and she said "The only Hallett family having children in Chiselborough at this time were Jacob and Charlotte
    Hallett and they had a daughter Mary in 1814". She suggested trying Yeovil since she was married there. I haven't tried this yet.

I am somewhat new to doing research in England. I haven't tried to dig very deeply. I'm hoping to learn more, and dig deeper.

Kathy

ChattieKathy

Oooops! I am so sorry...It is a handwritten certificate, but you are right. It is 1838 (it is certificate #37, and it is right next to the month and say, and I didn't read the tiny print)! My mistake!

ChattieKathy

The witnesses were John Evans and Elizabeth Ha...(could be "nn" but it kind of just scribbles out...but no tall letters to imply Hallett). There are no Evans on the Ward side that I'm aware of, so it could be on hers.

Kathy

ChattieKathy

The groom (who was born in Devon) was residing at "Blackwell" or maybe "Blackmull", and the bride resided at what looks like "Glavilum"? or "Glavilawn"? Being that I am not familiar with anything there, it is very hard to guess what these letters could be!

Kathy

Geoffers

A duplicate thread created here has been locked.

janbooth

Kathy,

Jacob and Charlotte had a couple of children in Somerton, Mary Ann bap 15 Sep 1805 and Thomas bap 31 May 1807 before their children baptised in Chiselborough according to Family Search Pilot. It looks as if Jacob himself was baptised 6 Feb 1780 at Chiselborough, father Esau mother Jane and he appears to have had at least one sibling Ruth baptised in 1783. Given that there are several HALLETT families in Chiselborough and that your Mary Ann does at least seem to have some connection with Chiselborough, I do think you need to look through the actual parish registers and plot out family trees as Peter suggests to see if there is an appropriate Mary Ann who could fit in somewhere.

Janet

JenniLl

Kathy,
    I had a very quick look at the parish registers for Chiselborough yesterday; D/P/chis 2/1/7 Baptisms 1813 - 1862.

There were several children of Jacob and Charlotte but then I came across the following:-

3 Aug 1817 Mary BB daughter of Mary Hallett Labouring woman Chiselborough
    3 Aug 1817 George BB son of Mary Hallett Labouring woman Chiselborough

May not be your Mary Ann but she may fit into your tree somewhere.

Jenni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast