Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Brick wall demolition expert!

I found this reference ...

Bank of England Will Extracts Index 1717-1845

SARGOOD William of Featherstone Street Sawyer 1774-94 6 2976 63/3

Looking at the dates, I'm not sure if this relates to my William Sargood or not. William does mention Fetherstone street in his will. Is this a different William, one where probate was granted in 1794?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by olliecat View Post
    I'm not sure if this relates to my William Sargood or not. William does mention Fetherstone street in his will. Is this a different William, one where probate was granted in 1794?
    1774-94 indicates the years covered by the book in which that particular will extract is held. It tells you that the will of this William SARGOOD was proved between 1774 and 1794.

Given that SARGOOD is not a common surname, if your William SARGOOD had money in public funds when he died there's a good chance this extract relates to him. It may be that Featherstone Street was the address recorded at the time he acquired the stock (or whatever).

Assuming you're looking at Origins.net, if you click the link about the data which appears at the foot of the results page, there is a good explanation and some sample transcripts/images.

You could check out the original registers at the Society of Genealogists' library.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    1774-94 indicates the years covered by the book in which that particular will extract is held. It tells you that the will of this William SARGOOD was proved between 1774 and 1794..
    Ah! If it’s the years covered by the book then it could well relate to my William Sargood.

If you click the link about the data which appears at the foot of the results page, there is a good explanation.
    I did go through the explanation page – I guess the date part did not sink in.

I gather that Bank of England Will Extracts sometimes identify beneficiaries of the estate. In this case I can't figure out if an extract might name any beneficiaries. In the will above, William just mentions the stock he has without being specific; thus the extract might mention the executors only.

It's quite pricey to get hold of a copy of this extract - but if cleared up niece Elizabeth's surname then it would be worth it.

You could check out the original at the Society of Genealogists' library.
    It looks like it could be cheaper to get hold of a copy from the Society of Genealogists' library – but I'd have to get the job done within 1 hour - otherwise it's not. Hmm!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

It's quite pricey to get hold of a copy of this extract - but if cleared up niece Elizabeth's surname then it would be worth it.
    I wouldn't rely on that. The main part of the register entry is normally directly quoted from the will, as you can see from the samples on the website.

It's a shame that before 1796 there are no death duty records, which might have been helpful for you in this respect.

It looks like it could be cheaper to get hold of a copy from the Society of Genealogists' library – but I'd have to get the job done within 1 hour - otherwise it's not. Hmm!
    It might be better value for you to collect up a few different research tasks and spend a half-day there, for £10. It is a huge and densely stocked place, it can take a while to get your bearings, and one hour might get eaten up rather quickly.

By way of encouragement, I believe they do have the Blewbury parish registers on fiche.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood
    By way of encouragement, I believe they do have the Blewbury parish registers on fiche.
    ..........and you may well find reference of SARGOODs there back to at least 1702

I wonder if anyone on OXSIL is researching the same name in this area, who may perhaps have already viewed the registers?

Right, that's convinced me. I've decided to go up to the Society of Genealogists library first and then to the LMA or National Archives on a different day. Geoffers - your links on this and my other thread will certainly keep me busy while I'm there.

I'll try and get hold of that Will Extract; crossing my fingers that it has the niece's name.

Hopefully this will be before Christmas. Won't name the days I'm going in case one of you is a part-time burglar.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Being rather new to wills the fact that some individuals in these wills 'swore oaths' but others made 'affirmation or declaration' instead passed me by. So due to your nudging Kerrywood I looked up the difference. Being a legal thing it's about as clear as mud - but it seems that taking an oath means holding up the right hand and swearing by some stated faith (although some sources state the faith part is not always necessary.) However, one can make a declaration or affirmation instead - perhaps because one objects to swearing an oath, either because one has no religion or it's contrary to one's religious beliefs.

Anyway, I went back though all the wills to see if this made sense. All the Sargoods in these wills were Quakers and also some of the Executors. Thomas Sargood in the first will of John Sargood appears to be an awkward one - he was a Quaker yet he swore oath rather than making a declaration, whereas Sarah Green in the will of Ann Sargood made a declaration/affirmation and her Quaker faith was stated. Michael Minns was also a Quaker and he also made a declaration/affirmation.
    Charles Fowler, mercer, of Woodchester was certainly a Quaker.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011