Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Wakeman family of Bromsgrove.

Is anyone tracing the Wakeman family of Bromsgove. They were mainly nailors and i have got back as far as Roger Wakeman (wife unknown) who had children between 1681 and 1705.

Hi,
    Firstly I assume you know of the BMSGH Worcestershire Marriage Index 1660-1837.
    Secondly there is a surname interest on the the Bromsgrove BMSGH website, www.
    bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/cms/ under Our Members>Surname Interests.

Good luck

no... how do i access the marriage index i had already registered on the bmsgh Bromsgrove site but hadnt found the marriage index.

jeeb

Hi Blues Mark,
    The Worcestershire marriage Index has the following entries, the first if not both should be of interest to you:-

Roger Wakeman & Sarah Meryeman 28 May 1676 at Bromsgrove (Merriman, I assume)
    Roger Wakeman & Mary Wheeler 14 April 1686 at Bromsgrove

There are 2 deaths registered in Bromsgrove of Sarah Wakeman, you will need to check the register to see if either are listed as wife of Roger-

Sarah Wakeman buried 6 Jan 1679
    Sara Wakeman buried 14 Oct 1685

Jeremy

Hi Blues Mark,

The Worcestershire Marriage Index is not available on-line at all. If you are a member of BMSGH, not just registered with the Bromsgrove site, you can see a copy in their own library in central birmingham. The only public copy is at Worcester Record Office. A search service is availble at www.
    bmsgh.org/search/Wo_marr_index.html Full details are on the page.

Caroguest

Hello Blues Mark

I am just starting out trying to find out about William Wakeman from Bromsgrove who was a gardener and married to Mary. They had a daughter called Dora. Are they part of same Wakeman family you are tracing??

could you give me more details such as dates etc. i cant see that they are a direct descendant i have been tracing but maybe William was a son i have not followed up.

danielwakeman

hello. My name is Daniel Wakeman and I live in Canada. My grandfather was Frank Wakeman and was reportedly from Bromsgrove. He emigrated to Canada sometime in the early 1900's but we have little documentation and no photographs of him. I was wondering if you've come across any record of him and his family in your Bromsgrove trace. Any info would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Lee.Weller

Default more Bromsgrove WAKEMANs

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Mark View Post
    Is anyone tracing the Wakeman family of Bromsgove. They were mainly nailors and i have got back as far as Roger Wakeman (wife unknown) who had children between 1681 and 1705.
    I have Wakeman ancestors who were Bromsgrove nailmakers, but I'm only confident of their history back to the early 1800s. They were James and Mary Anne (Bennett) Wakeman, with children Jemima, Temperance, Theophilus, Titus, Cephas, Selina Ann, Albert Valentine and Hieronymus. I think that James was the son of William and Ann (Day) Wakeman, but the evidence isn't conclusive.

Cephas (my gg-gfather) and his younger brother Albert moved to Silsden (W York.) sometime before the 1871 census where they continued to ply the nailmaking trade. Cephas later emigrated to USA with his wife and only son. Albert remained in Silsden.

Other relatives (a nephew with family - James Edward Wakeman) also ended up for a period around 1890 in or near Silsden (Uttley). James Edward Wakeman eventually migrated to western Canada (1905).

Cephas Wakeman was born in 1834 in Bromsgrove and married Maria Jones there in Dec 1858. I can't find them in the 1861 census, but he re-appears in the 1871 census, in Silsden, with wife Maria and son James Thomas (born in Silsden in Dec. 1866). This family migrates to the USA in 1874. Maria died there in 1884 and Cephas in 1886.

Lee

Lee.Weller

Quote Originally Posted by danielwakeman View Post
    hello. My name is Daniel Wakeman and I live in Canada. My grandfather was Frank Wakeman and was reportedly from Bromsgrove. He emigrated to Canada sometime in the early 1900's but we have little documentation and no photographs of him. I was wondering if you've come across any record of him and his family in your Bromsgrove trace. Any info would be extremely helpful. Thank you.
    G'day Daniel,

I have Wakeman ancestors from Bromsgrove, including some shirt-tail relatives who migrated to British Columbia in 1905 (James Edward Wakeman and his family). I don't find anyone in his family named Frank, however.

Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast